Mitre Saw Recommendation Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm at the end of the my tether with a cheapo Argos Challenge compound mitre saw I bought a few years ago when I was in a pickle and there was nowhere else open....Rubbish mitres, rough cuts and genuinely dangerous movement...

The job I'm on with at the moment is skirtings and picture rails. The skirtings are 8in lambs tongue so I need something capable of dealing with that. I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm no pro, but I also want something I can produce nice clean and accurate cuts.

I think I may as well buy one and then sell on when I'm finished as I've a fair bit to do and the hire prices are ludicrous.....

Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
you will probably need a slider and cut flat
dewalt 712 for example around £325

Yes - definitely need a slider. That's a bit out of my price range though.... Any others you can recommend?

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

What are people's opinions on Evolution Rage? I've found lots of favourable reviews and they seem to represent very good value for money for an "enthusiastic DIYer" like myself....

I've been using one for years. I like it but it isn't the most accurate of the bunch and it only tilts one way so if you need to do cuts at opposite angles it's a pain.

Personally, I find a hand held circular saw far better for skirting. Much faster and I use a roofers square to run down the edge of. Works a treat.

It's the bowing of the skirting that's the problem, and a Skill saw seems to cope with that better.

Thanks Joe. The one way tilt is a real limiting factor.... Presumably the clamp gets in the way of the motor on the right hand side? I have same problem with my el cheapo Challenge saw.....

That rules out the Rage then.... I might just end up hiring one at this rate...

The main reason I want the mitre saw is that I've got some funny angles to cut (bay windows etc) and it would just be a lot easier using a mitre saw.

To be honest I sometimes find it much quicker and easier to use a handsaw rather than all thet faffing about resetting and adjusting the saw when the walls aren't perfect. Cheaper, lighter and easier to carry too :D

I ended up buying the Evolution Rage 255mm from Screwfix for £165.

I can't fault it. Very accurate and good smooth action. The "one size fits all blade" is surprisingly gentle on softwood and leaves a perfect cut. I did about 6 cuts last night covering a range of angles and they were all perfect.

My biggest problem is the quality of the skirting..... Grrr.

So a big thumbs up from me. My only gripe is the single bevel rather than double. But at this price, I can't really expect anything else.

B&Q's MacAllister brand do a double bevel saw for abot £150.
The single bevel one i have has been great for the past 7 years now.
Heard some horror stories over the evolution range as i was tempted by their double bevel model too.

Great saw to have is a ELU PS 174 .
I have had mine for 20 years and it still performs great.
Secret to any saw is to make sure your blades are sharp.
Cutting things like MDF will dull your blades- rapido. BUT- always have a few spare sharp blades.
ps- always second hand ones for sale on ebay.

yeah but you can't be guaranteed of sharp blades if you buy em 2nd hand.
Did anyone possibly tell you that blades 'Steel or Tungsten tipped' can (and are'- by true tradesmen' -sharpened when they lose their edge ?.)

A good tradesman can tell when their blades lose their edge- by the effort the machine needs to exert. Then- He-/she gets them sharpened.

The more teeth on the blade- the better the cut.
Steel tipped blades give the very best cut- but they lose their edge very quickly. Tungsten tips last longer- but the cut is not quite as good. Only a true tradesman would notice the difference though--honestly.

Only trying to be helpful bud. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back