Mitre saw - recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the coming month I'll be needing to cut some skirting boards and laminate flooring. That is my immediate requirement but I always look to think of the future and I like to buy quality (if the price is right). My current favourite brand is Makita and I have a drill, belt sander, angle grinder and planer from them currently. I have had no issues with this brand to date.

I realise skirting and laminate flooring isn't that big but I'd like a sliding mitre saw which can do good depth cross-cuts, sensible angles and one that may even have a laser guide. Preferably I'm looking at no more than £250 but that might be a pipe-dream for a good brand!

I was in B&Q this morning and I saw a "Evolution 1400w 210mm sliding compound mitre saw Fury3" for a mere £128. It cuts to 60mm deep, 220mm across, 45 degrees either way and has a laser. Is it nonsense? I have never heard of this brand.

What would forumers recommend? What if my budget could be upped to £350?

Sponsored Links
Mainly cutting wood, not used it on metal like it states, but it has been used at least every other day for past 5 years, skirtings, architraves,decking, 4x2 7x2 only thing I have had to change is the blade and the plastic cover that protects the laser line its a good tool for the price,

Sponsored Links
I've been using one for about 8 years. Once you set them up they are fine. Portable too.

I got a B&Q trade card (seems I'm serious now?!?!) and thought I'd look on their portal... on there you only see the Rage variants, whereas in the shop itself you only see Fury. So may need to do some real comparing...

Fury is the DIY model. Get the Rage. (stupid name).

Metabo are the market leader for mitre saws in Europe. They even do cordless versions.
Which is presumably why almost every chippie I've worked with in the last 5 years who had their own saw had a mitre saw from (in descending order of popularity) Makita, deWalt and Festool. I've come across the odd Hitachi owner as well, but only two Metabos (or Elektra-Beckum as they used to be called) in the last 10 years. Amongst the hire fleets you'll generally find Makita or deWalt being offered with some firms now having Milwaukee kit as well. BTW my own saws are a DW and a Makita, so I'm not bucking the trend....

I would've bought the LS1018L from this dude for £280... but I would not have known where he got it from. I'm going to have to learn to love my Rage3-DB. It should arrive tomorrow.

I did say Europe. Not some dodgy site over here!

The manufacturer in Nürtingen is the market leader for crosscut and mitre saws in Europe and recently produced its one millionth crosscut saw in April. The manufacturer will be bringing seven new models to the market in fall.

It has arrived. It is unpacked. I've turned the laser on and spun the saw. I've not cut anything yet. It's big.

I did say Europe. Not some dodgy site over here!
I'll take that as the insult it's presumably meant to be (not to mention it being very wide of the mark) and just point out that the hire fleets I've dealt with as site foreman include HSS, Speedy Hire, A-Plant, Brandon Hire, etc. None of those firms have had Metabo mitre saws in their catalogues when I've seen them. They pretty much all have, however, some deWalt mitre saws - you know deWalt, the firm which took over Elu who in turn pretty much invented the portable sliding compound mitre saw back in 1981. Something tells me that DW passed the 1 million mark many, many years back. And as for Metabo being market leader in Europe? I don't think so.

So, are you some sort of "plant" for Metabo?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back