mitre saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mitre saw motor has packed up so looking for a replacement. The last one was an evolution which worked well for me although I think its alignment had started to go and occasionally wasn't large enough for some pieces.

Was looking at this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolutio...lti-material-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/128hf

but concerned that the bore size restricts my blade choices. Not sure if I need double bevel but saves constantly swapping the wood around I guess. I also have a stand for evolution thats cost £50 so not sure I want to lay out for a new one.

Recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Blade bore isn't the issue you think it is - look on eBay and you'll find someone selling blade washers - 30mm outside diameter (a widely available bore size) x 25.4mm bore. Evo blades are hardly the best

My mitre saw motor has packed up so looking for a replacement. The last one was an evolution which worked well for me although I think its alignment had started to go and occasionally wasn't large enough for some pieces.

Was looking at this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolutio...lti-material-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/128hf

but concerned that the bore size restricts my blade choices. Not sure if I need double bevel but saves constantly swapping the wood around I guess. I also have a stand for evolution thats cost £50 so not sure I want to lay out for a new one.

Recommendations?
Is the motor wrecked or just needing new brushes, easily replaced and a few £.

saxtonblades do make blades for evolution , my son-in-law uses them, and saxtonblades as a DIYer work really well and a good price , I am comparing to Freud which i purchased for my mitre saw and circular saw.
https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-circular-saw-blades/evolution-saw-blades
https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/tct-circular-blade-255mm-pack-a-evolution
I had the freuds sharpened but now i tend to use the Saxtonblades as they are just slightly more than the cost of sharpening
I know he uses the same blade for his Table saw, and has 40/60/80/100 Teeth saws , cant remember what model he got , I think a RAGE5
so maybe worth looking at saxton or talking to them , they have been very helpful over the phone with me. then perhaps that will help you decide on the make/model

I have done a few mitre joints. as a DIYer, and not really to bothered by the bevel only sliding 1 way n my dewalt SMS, but i guess if doing a lot it would speed things up a bit

BUT , you did say it did not cut the size you wanted
occasionally wasn't large enough for some pieces.
so what size was your old SLM and what size would you ideally like

Sponsored Links
Even if they look ok, maybe worth replacing, I saw only this week a youtube video by Peter Millard, where he thought hes Festool Plungesaw was not working as the brushes looked ok, only to discover later (having replaced the tool with a new one) they did need replacing

the extra weight over the extra capacity is worth taking note off the extra capacity off a 10"250/260mm saw over a 81/4 " 216mm is not that great but at perhaps 1.5-2 times the weight

Last edited:
It's not the switch mucking about is it?
Depends on your use/budget really.
I had a cheap one for years, probably something like a Titan. I put shims and stiffeners and things around it to make it more precise, for kitchens and furniture, some quite "fine". I wanted it accurate. When the motor started blowing trips I bought a better quality Festool 10". Yes it's better than the old one was, smoother overall, about the same precision as the old one wound up, but it's more robust and heavy, you don't have to be so careful to get it cutting dead on.
It's vastly more expensive though.
I tried vastly expensive blades from Axminster previously which were much better than the one which came with it, but 'top' grade was a waste of money, tooth count rules.
I've used a DeWalt which as as you might expect intermediate, probably about the same as your Evo. Similar cost.

ANyway if you stick with your Evo OR go with a new one, I'd bet that if you pay due attention to anything you care particularly about, you'll be able to get it as good as you need it. Unless you have spare cash I wouldn't spend any more.

I have done a few mitre joints. as a DIYer, and not really to bothered by the bevel only sliding 1 way n my dewalt SMS, but i guess if doing a lot it would speed things up a bit
As others say, there's generally a trade off between size and features; more festures = bigger and (a lot) heavier. I have a couple of double bevel mitre saws (an older corded model and a newer cordless one) which are both 10in/260mm as well as a (now 8 or 9 year old) single bevel 216mm mitre saw. The smaller saw gets used quite a bit more because whilst it is relatively feature poor, it is far lighter than the other pair. And my back isn't getting any younger

Recently both Makita and Hikoki have introduced cordless, double bevel SCM saws with c.200mm blades. If I don't quit 5his gane (to go off and become a monk or a lighthouse keeper) then one of those may well be the way I'm going in the future for 2nd fix, especially as Hikoki do a mains to 36 volt power supply.

In the OP's position I'd try to fix what he already has (flex, fuse, switch, brushes, etc) first - then try to figure weight vs.features. Unless you are regularly cutting big sections there are often other ways to do big cuts, such as cut-turn-cut or portabke saw and home made guide

Last edited by a moderator:
@bluebaron check your carbon brushes before doing anything! Even if they look ok the springs may have lost their full tension so I would always buy a new set before dumping it. Something to look out for is that the brushes slide freely in the brush box and they firmly contact with the commutator. Have a look at the commutator and give it a bit of a clean with a small paintbrush and a vacuum to remove as much loose carbon dust as you can. If the brushes are a bit stiff/sticky sliding in the box then a small needle file rubbed gently through should clear any residue, (if you don't have any files a small screwdriver may suffice).

well I checked the brushes today, what can I say there was only one in there!

i've order replacements and will try tomorrow. the motor was in and out last time I tried it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back