Mitre / Table Saw - what speed to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new combination Mitre / Table Saw. It has a speed control, can you give me an idea of what situations to use high or low speed?

Sponsored Links
The only machine I know like that is the new DW flip-over, and that's supposed to change speed automatically when you flip it over (I believe the chop saw mode runs the faster, but I might have that wrong). The only reason I can think of for maving multiple speeds on a table saw is to handle different materials such as aluminium, plastics, wood, etc. What are the speeds and what does the manual say? Also what make/model is it?

Scrir

It is the SIP 10". The manual is no help - just says that the speed is variable. Max is 4000 rpm.

Well I'll give you the speed calculation I was taught at college:

R = 1000 * P / Pi * D

where R = rotation speed (rpm), P = required peripheral speed (m/min), Pi = 3.14 and D = diameter of blade (mm)

A saw working timber needs a peripheral speed of approximately 3000 m/min, therefore:

R = 1000 * 3000 / 3.14 * 254 = 3761 rpm

So for sawing wood your saw needs to run at approximately 3,700 rpm. It doesn't really matter if it's a bit above or below that at all. The lower speeds must be for plastics and aluminium.

Scrit

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back