Mix and Match Floor Oils

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am rebuilding an old staircase and landing with reclaimed wood and some new wood for a couple of treads.
I have washed the boards and used some Colron Wood Reviver on them which has brought out the orignal colour
I now want to use Colron Danish Oil Jacobian Dark Oak and a Mahogany to match the colour of the old and new wood but I am stuck for a protective oil for finish to go over the Danish Oil.

I understand Colron Finishing Oil is not suitable for floors so are there any alternatives I could use Externally I have used decking oil on top of Danish Oil and Fiddes external wood oil without a problem but not sure I want to risk it on an interior.

Sponsored Links
I thought that but wrote to Colron to check and they replied

"Thank you for your email.
The Danish Oil does have a water proof finish and does not require over coating.
Please be aware the Danish Oil is not for floors this product is not designed to be walked upon."

Although they had no idea what could be used.

I have since found Bestwood Danish Oil which claims to be suitable for floors

"Danish Oil can be used on almost any wooden surface, including interior and exterior furniture, doors, window frames, cladding, hardwood floors, skirting boards, gates, children’s play areas, kitchen worktops, turned wood, musical instruments and food preparation areas etc."

So what do you reckon Colron which says on the tin "not suitable for flooring" or Bestwood which says it is. Can I just leave the Oak Coloured Danish Oil, cover it with Bestwood clear Danish Oil or go out and find some more old boards and start again.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back