Can I use Colron wood dye on my engineered floor??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having struggled to find the right colour of pre-finished wooden flooring, I've discovered the perfect colour ( Colron Jacobean dark oak). My query is... Is it suitable to use on floors ( it doesn't mention flooring on the tin) followed by a nuetral oil???

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
as john illustrates it has to be applied to bare wood! I like the colour too and use a coloron Jacobean dark danish oil frequently on oak furniture.

If you really want this colour then you will have to buy unfinished flooring of some sort. Bare in mind thought that colour variation is massive dependant on the type of wood and how smooth the finish is. Have you seen it used somewhere or are you going from the small swatch on the tin?

Sorry guys, forgot to mention. The wood is brand new bare untreated unfinished engineered oak, so could I use the stain?? I've tried it on several cut offs of oak flooring and it looks good! Would a few coats of nuetral oil give me the deep sheen that I'm looking for??

many thanks

Sponsored Links
not really! oil is a more natural look and really nice but a lower sheen finish. It will have almost no sheen after a few months. I think your best bet for a natural look but a better deep low shine is wax.

Or you apply a maintenance product, like wax or wax-polish every 5 - 6 months as recommended by many manufacturers to keep the wood healthy and the look shiny.
Besides that, every wood floor needs a regular maintenance service, even lacquered/varnished ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back