Mixed LV ans ELV is it safe?

Sponsored Links
A steady magnetic field, such as a steady DC current and a cable carrying an AC current within the DC field will potentially vibrate, if currents are high enough the vibration may be audible.

Additionally other metalic items within the fields may be similarly affected.

if currents are high enough the vibration may be audible.

Quite, as in a transformer, but the OP is discussing fairly normal levels of domestic current.

Normally, there should be no eddy currents induced, because of counter windings - a live will be matched with a neutral, or a phase with another phase(s) so they cancel out, just as they would if a transformer were to be would with a counter winding.

Sponsored Links
Quite, as in a transformer, but the OP is discussing fairly normal levels of domestic current.

Normally, there should be no eddy currents induced, because of counter windings - a live will be matched with a neutral, or a phase with another phase(s) so they cancel out, just as they would if a transformer were to be would with a counter winding.
I can't fault your comments and yes I wholeheartedly agree.
However I have the T-shirts.

Something that nobody has mentioned yet, what is the liklyhood of these 2 cables being used at the same time?
In my experience of camping the chances of batterypower being used when mains is available is pretty slim.

Being me I'd probably be aiming for some sort of automatic changeover.

Battery--- switch--- lamp

Switching the switch on and off creates AC ? , I do not think so,
The fundamental issue here is there are two different worldviews of AC and DC.

One worldview, is that we look at the total current, if it flows in only one direction that's DC, if it alternates direction that is AC.

The other worldview is that a signal is made up of a series of components at different frequencies, including DC. In this worldview, switching stuff on and off absoloutely does create AC components in the current.

A DC current being repeatedly switched on and off is equivilent to a superposition of a DC current and a square wave. An ideal square wave has an infinite series of frequency components, though each component is weaker than the last and in reality no squarewave is idea.

Something that nobody has mentioned yet, what is the liklyhood of these 2 cables being used at the same time?
In my experience of camping the chances of batterypower being used when mains is available is pretty slim.
Probably the simplest method for me is to remove the 230v stuff and just use 12v. It will work anywhere and if I am on a mains hook up the battery will be getting charged.

Probably the simplest method for me is to remove the 230v stuff and just use 12v. It will work anywhere and if I am on a mains hook up the battery will be getting charged.

Most these days do not even need the battery at all, you can consider the charger as a charger/power supply. The battery is only needed when off EHU, or to use the mover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back