Mixer spray tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve a mixer spray tap (picture included) which has an issue.

Periodically the hot water won’t work in the kitchen sink (but hot water works in other sinks in house). However, when this happens if I press the lever for the spray function the hot water will run through the spray head and also the tap (water pressure also seems to be lower when this happens too) now obviously I can’t fill the sink by holding the spray for the hot water. What’s people thoughts? Is it fixable or do I just need to get a new tap?

Attachments

• IMG_3406.png
    IMG_3406.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Send it back to China. Basically so many of these were/are made to be thrown away unless you bought a high quality branded unit.

Seriously though, there's very little that can be at fault here , either the mixer cartridge but usually that would work for both or neither and the on and off valve at the end of the spout. What make is it and how old is it?

Perhaps one thing worth checking before returning to far Cathay. The fixed sink outlet has a aerator at the end of the spout. The hot water will run through the spout in a pipe with the cold water on the outside of the spout. If the aerator is blocked in the centre (limescale for example) that would give the conditions you are describing. Remove the aerator and give it a good clean if necessary. Removal often easier said than done. Try poring very hot water over the aerator (boiling water if the sink is stainless) to expand it. Grip with a boa type strap wrench or grips preserving the chrome with leather or rubber.

Send it back to China. Basically so many of these were/are made to be thrown away unless you bought a high quality branded unit.

Seriously though, there's very little that can be at fault here , either the mixer cartridge but usually that would work for both or neither and the on and off valve at the end of the spout. What make is it and how old is it?
It’s just over a year old and I will admit have had issue with it from about 6 months. The spray head itself has cracked and the eBay shop I bought it from have been ignoring me about it. It’s not Steele it’s more a plastic material and fear it’s a cheap knock off or something. But some plumber tape stopped the leak. O do plan on getting a more high end tap eventually but just thinking whether it can be saved for the interim.

Sponsored Links
fear it’s a cheap knock off
Unfortunately these aren't cheap knock offs, they're just cheap rubbish and the ones from fleebay and other sites like that tend to be grey imports, so even worse again.

With these types of spray tap it is always recommended to buy branded, that way if they go wrong then there will always be some type of support, they can be pricey though.

It can only be an issue with the valve but without stripping down it would be impossible to guess TBH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back