Mixer tap dripping problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Astracast mixer tap on my kitchen sink. Every few months one tap or or other starts dripping. I take off the tap covers, tighten the retaining nut as much as I can without leaving the tap too stiff to operate. I even then put some silicon grease inside the covers before replacing them. Everything is then OK for a few months until I have to do the same thing all over again ! . :rolleyes:

Any way to stop these retaining nuts from loosening in service ? ?

I'm not impressed by the quality of this mixer tap - Shouldn't have this problem and I bet I'm not the only person experiencing it.... :mad:

Sponsored Links
Now Im thinking, silicon with a liberal amount of Aryldite as backup
and some wedges made of Aquaboard, Hardiebacker or better still Wet walling ;)

loctite_243_lg.jpg
;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks - Would that lock the threads permanently or would I still be able to remove the locknut if I need to in the future ?

Where could I get some of that stuff ? - Have never seen any in the DIY stores. :confused:

Thanks - Would that lock the threads permanently or would I still be able to remove the locknut if I need to in the future ?

stops them unscrewing but can still be turned

bit like a nyloc nut in a bottle ;)

merchants or car accesory shops :idea:

you can get it in motorists toyshops like Halfords, or from engineering suppliers. Loctite is a trade name, but you can get other Thread Locking stuff. Some grades lock permanently hard, and some remain soft enough to be undone later with correct tools. You need the second sort.

However, if the thread is loose, have you considered winding PTFE tape round the male thread? This will take up any wear, and is also used to prevent water seepage leaks and should prevent the parts seizing together in future. It is sold at plumbers counters and is very cheap. It is used a lot on plumbers threaded joints and can also be used on the olive in a compression joint, although some plumbers sneer at it and say they never get leaks.

I am not a pro.

you can get it in motorists toyshops like Halfords, or from engineering suppliers. Loctite is a trade name, but you can get other Thread Locking stuff. Some grades lock permanently hard, and some remain soft enough to be undone later with correct tools. You need the second sort.

However, if the thread is loose, have you considered winding PTFE tape round the male thread? This will take up any wear, and is also used to prevent water seepage leaks and should prevent the parts seizing together in future. It is sold at plumbers counters and is very cheap. It is used a lot on plumbers threaded joints and can also be used on the olive in a compression joint, although some plumbers sneer at it and say they never get leaks.

I am not a pro.

Thanks - Excellent advice. :D I think you're right that the thread must be too loose (although it's not wear - It's an almost new tap so it was like that when I bought it ). I'll try using some PTFE tape as you suggest. I've used Loctite thread sealer ( not thread locker ) before to stop leaks on screwed connections on hydrogen pipework ( I often work on hydrogen systems at work ) and it's excellent stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back