Mixer Tap fitting in kitchen sink - tight space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my 2nd query (not as desparate as my first)! is I am wanting to fit new taps to my kitchen sink (mixer taps). The old ones are very stiff and I cannot get the head off so want a nice new pair.

Basically, the space underneath the sink is very tight, I cannot get in there very easily, and wondered if there was anything I could do to make fitting them easier.

They have a little nut that secures the tap to the sink, and I am thinking of using 12mm flexy pipes. Will this be OK? Is there anything I can do to make fitting them easier please?

Thanks for your help with my 2 posts,

All the best

Sponsored Links
The flexi will be fine and will come with the tap as standard. Get yourself a set of box spanners (B&Q will do these as well as plumber's merchannts), a bit like a load of time served plumbers will have, since these make tightening the back nut a lot easier.

Thanks again for your kind help dextrous. I have a set of 3 box spanner (monobloc spanners) and a tommy bar which I will use, I boguht these years ago when I changed the mixer in the bathroom.

Will push fit flexy's be ok, or should I go for compression, seeing is space is tight, are push fit OK?

I have heard they can blow or split though, is this true?

The taps I have do not have flexy's only rigid pipes (2 rods), so I will have to go and buy the flexy's separate.

Unless you have an abnormally high pressure, speedfit flexis will be fine, although I prefer compression. Are there any local isolator valves nearby - if not then now would be a good time to fit them.

Sponsored Links
So high pressure mains is not good for flexy's?

I have no service valve, I will need to turn off the main stopcock and gate valve on the feed to the hot water cylinder. It's good to fit them I suppose for future maintenance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back