Retrofit mixer tap to existing sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've got a sink that's all built in and while it has fairly easy access from under it, the cupboard below has been cut to fit the sink.

The sink it's self is fine, good size, fits nicely in place. BUT it's got 2x taps, one hot one cold.

The taps are connected via flexihose which makes the job easier and one of those hoses has bust and the hot tap is also dodgy and has been for while.

SO, I thought if I'm going to replace the hose, I may as well replace the tap at the same time.

THEN I thought, if I'm going to replace the tap... a mixer tap would be nice.

But I don't want a mixer tap on the left or right it should be in the middle.

SO, without replacing the entire sink, is it possible to drill a hole in the middle of the porcelain sink and pop a mixer tap there, then plug the 2x holes?

If so, what drill bit would I need? Ideally I don't want to crack the sink(!)

If not, it's no biggie, it was just an idea ;)

Sponsored Links
Consider a diamond grit hole saw, but you’ll only get one shot at it!
You’ll have to pierce the glaze very carefully as you work.
Would anyone else recommend this?
John :)

But I don't want a mixer tap on the left or right it should be in the middle.

I did that, several years ago, but putting the tap on one side - the left seemed most appropriate and more out of the way in use. I thought in the middle, anyone rinsing their face, might crack their head on the tap. I fitted a chrome blank to the right hand hole and added a plug remote control at the same time. I had to drill a hole to accommodate the control rod, in the porcelain.

Be aware that mixer taps are usually only designed for mains pressure from both hot and cold. My hot is on a stored system, so it proved a little slower flow than I would have liked. Removing the aeriator mesh in the tap, made it flow much better.

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about a kitchen sink or a basin in the bathroom? Is the basin/sink deck between the tap holes perfectly flat, in line and within 180mm of each other?

Coring the enamel could be done with a diamond corer, the trick would be getting the hole started without any movement and it would have to be done slowly to start with plenty of water to get through the coating. Not something to be tried unless experienced with diamond coring on say porcelain tiling etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back