Mixer tap problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over a year ago, I had an issue with the mixer tap fitting to my bathroom sink. Basically the hot water top was fine, but the cold tap became stiff (almost rigid in the end)....I could barely get a half turn out of the tap and as a result the cold water dribbled out

I had a plumber come out and the simple diagnosis was a faulty tap fitting, so we bought a new mixer tap (not cheap) and had the plumber fit it. Had no reason to suspect any issues as the fittings were the same ones that had been in the property several years ago when we moved in.

The problem is that I now have exactly the same problem with the new fitting i.e. hot water tap is fine, cold water tap has virtually seized up. Completely different spec, brand new fitting !

I have had a plumber come out again and he insists again that it is a faulty tap fitting and we need to replace it. I'm not saying he's making it up, but it just seems hugely coincidental that the same sink has given me the same problems. Having reached the sort of ripe age of 40 and never having had the problem before.....twice in a year on the same sink seems very coincidental !

If anyone has had similar experiences or any advice I would be very grateful before I splash out (no pun intended) on new taps again.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
If this is a quarter turn type, then it probably needs a new cartridge (far less than a new tap, and much quicker/easier to fit.).

If it's the sort with a washer (the handle will move at least a full turn, usually more), then it's likely the insides have either seized or more likely loosened and unscrewed, causing the mechanism to jam when you attempt to use it. Easily fixed by dismantling, cleaning and reassembling properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back