Mixer tap seal broke yet again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Is there a certain type of seal for my bath mixer taps ?
I do not know the make of the taps but i fitted them 2 years ago now.
In that time i have replaced the o ring which stops the water coming out of the gland nut twice.
The original were beyond trying to match up so i purchased a few o rings that fitted nicely over the shaft which has the tap head on.
I then done up the gland nut so when the tap was operated the nut did not turn.
Today i have noticed that one has started to drip again and having taken the head off the tap and removing the gland nut the o ring is split again.
Is there a certain type of seal i should be using ?
Are the seals i am buying to tight or to loose on the shaft ?
Am i dong the gland nut up to tight etc ?
Any help would be nice.
Tap photo supplied
bathtaps.jpg

Sponsored Links
'O' rings by their design have to sit in a machined groove on the tap spindle - simply sliding them down and tightening the gland will surely split them.
I don't know which design these tap spindles have, but usually a packing made from a good few turns of ptfe tape does the same job.
John :)

Hi
When i remove the gland nut the shaft i am fitting the o ring over is not removed.
There is no grove to fit the o ring.
I understand what you are saying with the ptfe but i cant get in the recess to apply it.
The o rings last around 7 months each.
I have just purchased some more as i need to use the bath.
If i use vasalene on the shaft will that allow the shaft to rotate in the o ring or will it catch it straight away and tear it ?
Just thinking that a dry o ring will catch on the shaft in no tim.

Lubricate the o-ring and shaft. Don't use anything petroleum based on water fittings. Always use a silicon based lubricant, silicon grease being the best.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back