Mixer tap swivel leaks

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the collar at the base of the spout unscrews. Sometimes there is a grub screw at the back holding the spout in. Once you get the spout out, there will be a couple of O rings. You are unlikely to find a perfect match but there is a little bodge you can do. Carefully remove the O rings and stretch a couple of turns of PTFE tape in to the grooves. Replace the O rings, smear with silicon grease and reassemble the tap.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately there is no grub screw and no separate collar, the base is one casting and the spout another, seemingly with no visible means of locking the one to the other.

I have a dim memory of a kitchen mixer where the spout would pull straight up when it was rotated to a specific orientation, does this ring any bells? Anything else I can try?

Yes I have come across those but not sure of the angle. Trial and error I guess. By this stage I would be thinking about changing the tap.

Sponsored Links
I think some just pull out, but don’t quote me :notworthy: if you can’t do that then maybe as per @Elkato531 new tap time (y)

Thanks Elkato531

Answer was just past 9 o'clock. Top tip about the PTFE tape, seems to have fixed the problem.

Yes, tap is well past sell-by date but we had already spent a fun day replacing the service valve (aren't they dreadful) and re-making 4 compression joints on the hot supply.

Also the tap matches the cream sink which itself is discoloured and needs replacing along with 8m of worktop so quite a project in itself. Anyway today's new discovery is a massive moth infestation so all plumbing is on hold!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back