mixer tap will not come out of tap housing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a leaking cold tap on my washbasin. It is a mixer unit with 2 taps and I have removed the cover and unscrewed the cold tap. However, when fully unscrewed the tap unit does not lift out from the tap housing. It feels as if something is stopping it and I am unwilling to exert too much force or poke a screwdriver in and lever it out in case I cause damage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Balnadrumboy.

Sponsored Links
If it's one of these just yank it out. The washer may be damaged and is catching.

f_1509919.jpg

Thanks for your replies will put pics on tomorrow as have had to reassemble as wife and daughter want use of facilities. Inconsiderate eh.

Sponsored Links
As Johnmelad says it sounds as if the washer has spread/swollen, it should come out.
Try an adjustable spanner with the jaws set to just clear the thread use a bit of rag/kitchen towel to protect the chrome and slip it between the head and body to lever the unit out.
It should pop out without too much bother.

PS if you are worried about damaging it try the other tap to practice, it may not be as bad if you don't have a problem with it ;)

Many thanks folks. As you said the washer had flattened out and was preventing withdrawal of the tap unit. I prised the tap unit out with an extremely thin screwdriver. This detached it from the washer. I then fished the old washer out. Job done. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back