Mixer valve for bath overflow filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building an extension and planning to install a double-ended bath in an en-suite bathroom. I like the idea of a bath overflow filler with a recessed wall-mounted thermostatic valve (see images below of proposed purchases and setup)

My main concern is how the valves work. Often in the bath I want to put in hot water only to warm the whole bath. Presumably the shower valves are designed never to do this as it would scald. But I don't see any other recessed alternative.

Basically I have 2 questions:
1. Does the mixer valve pushed all the way over to the hot side deliver only hot water or does it still mix in some cold
2. If not is there a better solution to supply hot water only to the filler

In case it is important the hot supply will be from a Vaillant EctoTec 937 which is plumbed into a newly installed 25mm MDPE supply with a 4-5 bar static pressure.

Sponsored Links
double ended baths don't make great shower trays due to the slope at each end. I think a shower screen over a double ended bath will look odd but thats subjective I suppose..

usually you woild have a handset for hair washing and a bath filler combined. Past the click you do get hotter water for a bath

1. Does the mixer valve pushed all the way over to the hot side deliver only hot water or does it still mix in some cold

Manual shower valve will run only hot water if lever turn all the way to hot side. Like a mixer tap. Thermostatic mixer valve might not, if the hot water is too hot and the thermostat might kick in and let cold water in. It can be pre-set to get hotter.

2. If not is there a better solution to supply hot water only to the filler

Yes, a manual mixer valve for bath filler and a thermostatic mixer valve for shower.

Daniel.

Excellent, thanks for the responses. The difference between manual and thermostatic mixers had escaped me. The one I want to buy is a manual:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003CJS710/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

The bath is only having the filler running off the mixer - no shower stuff in the bath. Opposite the bath is the large walk-in shower - I already have a triple thermostatic valve to run a rain shower head and separate riser shower in there.

Sponsored Links
Your bathroom is going to look pretty crammed, I think I would reduce the shower to 800 and leave a bit more room for the toilet and wash hand basin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back