Mixing inhibitor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to whip off 3 rads for decorating & it's come time for them to go back on.

I've no idea what inhibitor the chap who fitted them used but I picked up some of that Sentinel stuff from B&Q.

I know with some car anti-freezes you're not supposed to mix them. So I was just wondering if I should just re-fit the rads & then stick the bottle of inhibitor in or whether I should drain off the rest of the system & then add?

If I should drain then to save me asking later, should I drain it off, refill with no inhibitor, drain that off & then put it in or is that step unnecessary?

Sponsored Links
The wise thing to do would be to drain the system down, i you come across any sludge or grey/black discoloured water then do a chemical clean and drain down again, then introduce the inhibitor.
Ideally systems should be drained down and inhibitors reintroduced at periods of every 3-4 years.

its unlikely to cause a problem mixing chemicals, some makes have 2 or more inhibitor chemicals in them and almost all of them have them same 2-3 chemicals in them. if you want to be 100% sure then drain down and refill. remember that most systems that have a few double rads may need more than one bottle.

There was a time when inhibitor couldnt be mixed as it caused a chemical reaction and turned to a sort of gel, I was just a lad was about 30 years ago think it was called MB1 and MB2 but not sure someone will remember, they came in Gallon plastic containers and couldnt be mixed werent any sealed systems then was all F&E tanks

Sponsored Links
Is your boiler still under warranty?
What boiler is it? Some boiler manufacturers stipulate the use of certain chemicals in their MIs.
Would be worth checking that first. Then, as above its good practice to chemical flush and retreat/refill when you have the opportunity.

There was a time when inhibitor couldnt be mixed as it caused a chemical reaction and turned to a sort of gel, I was just a lad was about 30 years ago think it was called MB1 and MB2 but not sure someone will remember, they came in Gallon plastic containers and couldnt be mixed werent any sealed systems then was all F&E tanks

I've always been under the impression that Fernox and Sentinel could be mixed but have never done it. The problems I think you're referring to were caused by adding 'Protek', something sold by the bigger DIY stores i think. It turned one of the main two brands into a brown gel, horrible to get rid of before the days of a flushing machine. I remember it as being in a white bottle with blue or red writing and when you saw the empty bottle in the loft you stayed clear

The boiler we have is a Worcester Greenstar Si i believe. Not under warranty but was only installed in 2012 if i remember right as we bought the house in 2013 & the paperwork said it'd been in 12 months.

When i removed a few rads the water came out like a dark green / black colour. Although with work that has been going on in the house the rads have been removed numerous times & it's always been straw yellow in the past like the colour of your piddle.

This "chemical clean" ....... what is that? I took a look at the Sentinel products & would that be x300?

If so i'm guessing the process would be something like.......

* drain the system totally
* add the x300 (or whatever the correct product is - please advise). Can add via the towel radiator which is how i last added inhibitor?
* Re-pressurize system & turn the heating on for everything to get around the system.
* Allow to cool
* Drain off again

Now to be sure it's all out i imagine you could do this next step but i've a feeling the pros will say it's unnecessary?.....

* refill plain water
* drain off again

But whether that step is advised or not, you then...

* add the x100
* repressurize system.

Job done?

No doubt i've got it wrong or missed something or whatever but that's what i imagine the process to be.

X300 is only for new systems and rarely used by anyone except me!

X400 or X800 is for cleaning existing systems.

Sentinel and Fernox are the brand leaders and certainly to be recommended.

Tony

Ah I've got you.
Would you use one over the other (400 / 800) or is either just as good as the other? I'm at work on my mobile with limited time & data right now.

Also the step by step on how you'd do it ... Was I correct or at least close? Anything important I missed?

Thanks.

X300 is only for new systems and rarely used by anyone except me!

X400 or X800 is for cleaning existing systems.

Sentinel and Fernox are the brand leaders and certainly to be recommended.

Tony
That is so thoughtfull Tony of Sentinel to make a product just for you, OP you should use X400 the X800 is for use with a powerflush machine and is a bit too aggressive if you dont get it all out ,can cause problems with the pump

Last edited:
I've no idea what inhibitor the chap who fitted them used but I picked up some of that Sentinel stuff from B&Q.

A conscientious installer would always fill in and put the inhibitor label on the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back