Mixing paint

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick bit of advice needed. My first paid painting job ! Customer bought some deep yellow paint...had it mixed so can't take it back. Decided it was too bright. It's a Dulux vinyl matt. Can I tone it down by adding white to it. I've got some Mcphersons matt but it's not a vinyl matt.... would that cause a problem. Secondly I've got some paintwork to do inside. Am I ok to use Johnstones Primer / Undercoat which is water based followed by a Johnstones gloss which is oil based? Could there be a reaction ? ( the primer / undercoat goes on so easily compared to the oil based u/coat ) Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Don't add white to it, do it the other way round, add small amounts of yellow to your white, otherwise you'll finish up with a bathfull of it.
Your primer/undercoat is ok for your gloss.
You're on a steep learning curve for your first job. :!:

cheers for quick reply Growler you've saved my life. Yeh prob on first job....lucky me and I've not even put the paint on the wall yet !!!!!!

Just had a thought. How much white do I start with ? If I start with say two n a half litres how much yellow would i add ? But there again suppose it's a case of how yellow they want the white to be. Why does it make a difference which way round you add it i.e white to yellow or vice versa ?

Sponsored Links
For heaven's sake! Does the customer know that you haven't a clue?

Yeh Joe she does. But SHE'S a considerate soul and appreciates that people who have been made redundant with children to feed have to start somewhere ( or sit on their bums and wait for the giro to arrive )and is prepared to give me a chance and I hope I do a good job for her. I'm sure MOST people on this forum will be just as considerate as she and am sure will give me some great advice should I need it on this job or the next.

Sorry, doesn't work that way. She won't be too pleased if you can't do the job. You'll be amazed how soon good will goes out of the window. Get training - then do the job.

Start with enough white to complete the job, then keep adding small amounts of yellow, stirring all the time. This way you'll have paint left over - the last thing you want in this situation is to run out of paint which you haven't a hope in hell of colour matching exactly. Also bear in mind will it need a second/third coat?

When you get the finished colour, do a test patch and let it dry. Can be quite a colour difference between wet & dry paint.

Point taken Joe90 and thanks for that advice aardvark that answers my question precisely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back