Plan of attack with water-based paint. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so I'm finally getting round to decorating the hall and a few things have changed since I last had the Dulux white gloss out.

It seems like oil-based paint is still to be avoided if you don't want it to yellow so from what I've read, it'll have to be water-based.

The walls have been newly plastered and will see heavy traffic so I'm thinking of using Dulux Diamond Matt, with a diluted first coat.

The woodwork currently has a mix of old gloss paint on the skirting and doors, and an oil-based undercoat on an expanse of T&G panelling on the stairs. I read that putting water-based undercoat on an oil base might not be a good idea but Zinsser 123 would provide a base onto which I would put Johnstone's Aqua undercoat followed by either the Aqua satin or gloss. All applied with a Purdys synthetic brush, quickly and with surfaces being lightly dampened.

Does this make sense? My view of water-based paint previously was 'never again' but I'm hoping products have improved. I've even read that the Diamond Matt is not as straightforward as you think.

Any tips or views? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back