Mk 2 Golf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello im new here :)
Ive recently seen a Golf looks in good condition but im iffy on the milage (167,000) I know VW make good strong well built cars but is this to high?

Sponsored Links
Its a 1.6 petrol engine (driver version) doesnt have service history but has 8 months M.O.T

no one? :( i need to make a decision before 9:00pm tonight. I think if i can get it for under £600 its mine, otherwise... well otherwise i just wont have it :cry:

Sponsored Links
Personally if its in good nick then go for it.

At that age and price of car buy on condition then mileage.

I have a BMW 318is with 170k on the clock and it is a pure track car so you can imagine how it gets abused. But still starts first time every time.

You are more likely to have problems with things like suspension components etc. which are subject to normal wear and tear then the engine giving up

£600 for a driver!
Stay away........... can pick them up for half that.

Mileage isn't really a problem on the golfs. Check there is no smoke on start up, and make sure the engine is cold when you first look at it (pierburg carbs on these tend to be a pig for cold starting)
Battery trays are known for rusting as are the front chassis members (under battery tray)
Check it goes through the gear smoothly etc

Best bet is to have a look on ebay............ they come up nice and cheap and because they aren't Gti's tend to stay cheap!
Easy to work on cars, and cheap parts still readilly available.

Back