Getting a separate set of wheels/rims for winter tyres

When I drove to Czech Republic 2 years ago I splashed out on a a set of Kumho Solus all seasons. It was a necessity as it's the law for winter/all season tyres in those parts over winter. The tyres are impressive, providing plenty of grip in all weather, run quiet and still have loads of tread 2 years on. All seasons/winter tyres will always wear quicker because the rubber is softer, but I've been impressed with these as they have loads of life left. Especially as they're on a heavy van. The Kumhos aren't as expensive as some of the bigger brands - around £40 or so a corner from Black Circles if I recall correctly. At that price it's not really worth messing around changing wheels and tyres, just leave them on all year round. Then you're ready for anything.

Sponsored Links
The hire car I have at present (Renault Clio) just has a can of gunk to put into a punctured tyre. OK, unless you have a blowout in the early hours in the middle of nowhere. But that's progress...................................... :rolleyes:

Depends where you live.

I once lived out in the sticks, the car got stuck in snow one night coming home from work, I had to leave it and walk the rest of the way.

The next morning it was only after a farm tractor with a snowplough went by I could shovel it out and get away.

Where I am now I don't get significant snow any more, due also to climate change.

I've had Cross Climate 2 tyres on my old 5 series BMW for the past couple of years. East Anglia has not really had the the winter weather since fitment to test their capabilities, but the write-up on them is impressive & they are wearing really well considering the substantial weight of the car.
I like CC2s.

The other one I rate is Bridgestone WeatherControl A005 Evo.

"A" rated wet grip.

Sponsored Links
The hire car I have at present (Renault Clio) just has a can of gunk to put into a punctured tyre. OK, unless you have a blowout in the early hours in the middle of nowhere. But that's progress...................................... :rolleyes:
I read somewhere that this was weight (and therefore emissions) saving measure.

I read somewhere that this was weight (and therefore emissions) saving measure.
It goes much further than weight - although that's definitely a part of it. A spare wheel well in the boot, is a huge discontinuity in what would otherwise be a lovely flat steel panel with great crush resistance for rear impact testing. If you bin the spare wheel, then whatever drives into the back of you, can't push the spare wheel into the rear suspension, and in turn, push the rear suspension into the fuel tank Tyres are huge these days. Leaving aside supercars, a 205 tyre on 15" rim was a pretty hefty bit of kit in the '70s and early '80s cars, when 13" was a pretty ordinary size for a family car. Now we're looking at 18 and 19" rims with 225 tyres. Big rims mean great brake cooling and bigger brakes - which is great. Cars today do stop immensely better than they used to, but if I wanted to put one of my rear wheels in the boot, it would be like having to find space for half an oil drum! Even if we move away from supercars, the rise in MPVs with three rows of seats, has further squeezed the space envelope in which a spare wheel could be accommodated. If you just raise all the seats further up to create an underfloor space for a full sized wheel, you end up raising the roof line by roughly the same amount, which is where the emissions come into it. CO2 emissions, mainly, rather than regulated toxic tailpipe pollutants. So you get hit with the doubly whammy of extra weight, increasing CO2 emissions, and a higher roofline, increasing CO2 emissions by virtue of the extra drag.

When I drove to Czech Republic 2 years ago I splashed out on a a set of Kumho Solus all seasons. It was a necessity as it's the law for winter/all season tyres in those parts over winter. The tyres are impressive, providing plenty of grip in all weather, run quiet and still have loads of tread 2 years on. All seasons/winter tyres will always wear quicker because the rubber is softer, but I've been impressed with these as they have loads of life left. Especially as they're on a heavy van. The Kumhos aren't as expensive as some of the bigger brands - around £40 or so a corner from Black Circles if I recall correctly. At that price it's not really worth messing around changing wheels and tyres, just leave them on all year round. Then you're ready for anything.

+1 for Kumho. My daughter lives in Oban on the West Coast of Scotland. For a few years, she was commuting to Aviemore! She was doing this in a very ordinary Mazda 2, and we put it on Kumho Wintercraft winter tyres. She never got stuck, and even passed a few stuck 4x4s on their ridiculous, low-profile summer tyres!

It goes much further than weight - although that's definitely a part of it. A spare wheel well in the boot, is a huge discontinuity in what would otherwise be a lovely flat steel panel with great crush resistance for rear impact testing. If you bin the spare wheel, then whatever drives into the back of you, can't push the spare wheel into the rear suspension, and in turn, push the rear suspension into the fuel tank Tyres are huge these days. Leaving aside supercars, a 205 tyre on 15" rim was a pretty hefty bit of kit in the '70s and early '80s cars, when 13" was a pretty ordinary size for a family car. Now we're looking at 18 and 19" rims with 225 tyres. Big rims mean great brake cooling and bigger brakes - which is great. Cars today do stop immensely better than they used to, but if I wanted to put one of my rear wheels in the boot, it would be like having to find space for half an oil drum! Even if we move away from supercars, the rise in MPVs with three rows of seats, has further squeezed the space envelope in which a spare wheel could be accommodated. If you just raise all the seats further up to create an underfloor space for a full sized wheel, you end up raising the roof line by roughly the same amount, which is where the emissions come into it. CO2 emissions, mainly, rather than regulated toxic tailpipe pollutants. So you get hit with the doubly whammy of extra weight, increasing CO2 emissions, and a higher roofline, increasing CO2 emissions by virtue of the extra drag.

Spare in my old Carlton was standing up, strapped inside the rear wing. A friend had a Rover P6 with spare on the top of boot. Used to be quite a common place on these cars. On the whole, if the manufacturers won't give a proper spare, a space saver is the best comprimise.

I would have run-flat tyres, but I suppose that's the same issue: you end up with a scrap tyre after a blowout.

Spare in my old Carlton was standing up, strapped inside the rear wing. A friend had a Rover P6 with spare on the top of boot. Used to be quite a common place on these cars. On the whole, if the manufacturers won't give a proper spare, a space saver is the best comprimise.

Hard to do, with so many cars having tailgates, rather than boot lids, these days. You see some 4x4s with swing-out spare wheel carriers, so that you can open the tailgate. but not sexy enough for a saloon or hatchback these days.

I would have run-flat tyres, but I suppose that's the same issue: you end up with a scrap tyre after a blowout.

And the ride isn't great. I had a company VW Sharan after a company SEAT Alhambra. Identical specs, (other than the SEAT was on run-flats) but the Sharan felt SO much more refined, and it was all just down to the tyres.

Trouble is, many cars don’t have the depth of wheel well for a full size spare.
Another trouble is, many cars don't have a spare wheel at all, even a spacesaver! I used to have a 53-reg Mondeo which had a plastic former under the spacesaver. Threw that out and there was room for a standard size spare.

I've a set of Dezent TD 15" wheels with CC2 195/65-15 now available. I used them on a 2015 MkVII Golf in place of 16" wheels with 205/55-16. PCD 5 x 112, recall ET 43mm.

Have you looked for a set of any old ratty/kerbed alloys for your make/model on ebay?

Sponsored Links
Back