MK Extension Lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right here is my prospect. (i never use the word prospect. ARRGGGHHH!) i have a MK Albany socket with neon. I am planning to use a 47mm backbox (the one with cord grip :idea: ) and a meter of 16amp flex connected to a plug with a 13A fuse. kinda like this
key: * = plug -- = cable [] = socket.

*-------------------[]
^ 1 meter ^

any ideas
before you ask i WILL earth the box and i am situated in scotland :D

Sponsored Links
I don't think i have ever seen a backbox with a cord grip. Normal practice if you need to retain a flex coming out of a backbox knockout is to use a compression gland.

It would probbally be a good ides to know what you are trying to do though so we can advise if you are going about it a sensible way.

I have seen a back box with a cord grip, not many cant remember where, but i have seen at least 2

Sponsored Links
Most 47mm patresses have a cord grip in the bottom of the box.

Most 47mm patresses have a cord grip in the bottom of the box.

You still haven't told us what you are trying to achive, a posh metal socket front on a plastic surface box will look ****, a plastic patress box even one with a cord grip isn't very suitable for loose use on an extention lead.

i realised it would look cheap. where do you get 'posh metal boxes' which are not wall boxes (god auful) or plastic (you say there bad) TLC Direct don't sell them. the closeest i can get is a metalclad ant that is not going to fit on the socket. (metalclad has a few diffrent factors regarding faceplates) :LOL:

Why aren't you just using a normal extension lead?

are you planning to fix this to the wall? if so why aren't you doing proper fixed wiring?

That chromed box still looks like it is made of the same brittle plastic used for ordinary patress boxes.

If you must use a wall socket to make an extention lead I would reccomend using a metalclad one with a compression gland to retain the flex.

i give up. i'll just get a plastic patress (yuk :oops: ) a bit of cable and voila.
check the next page for the finshed result

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back