MK Logic Plus Grid - Alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anything else out there.

I love the fact the modules are pre-labelled (boiler, oven etc), but don't particularly like the rest of the MK range, namely their sockets, dimmers and FCUs.

Ideally something is out there that has the above list along with CAT5e/6 and twin f-type satellite outlets.

So far no luck in finding that!

Sponsored Links
there's plenty of ranges of grid switches, I guess it depends what the rest of your sockets & switches look like as to what brand to recommend

btw you're mad! MK logic are the best looking white accessories there are!

Sponsored Links
Wow! £40 for a 2 gang dimmer. Not even a remote controlled one.

Saying that, an MK single trailing edge grid dimmer is £25. When did electrical stuff get so expensive, for plain jane white!

I prefer the look of the MK stuff, except the FCU, its just strange.

Other grids I have used are Crabtree, didn't like it so much. Seem to remember that the grid modules each needed screwing in, where as MK can be unclipped in situ

I guess it's just the FCU I don't like (the fuse below the rocker rather than next to it)!!.

It's not that so much that I don't like, it's the cr@ppy screw mechanism that fails on the first use.

In terms of the 'kitchen' stuff, am I right in saying that 'as-is', grid systems are meant to be used with plugs still on the appliances (as the grid switch itself doesn't have a fuse).

I'm just weighing up the pros/cons of a grid system vs normal FCUs leading to flex outlets under-worktop.

If i'm right, you don't necessarily save space with a grid system as a direct comparison as you'd need a grid switch + grid fuse for every appliance you wanted to hardwire in.

If i'm wrong, then great :)

I'd like to have everything central this time (which led me to grid systems) rather than loads of FCUs spread over the worktop directly above/next to the appliance.

I do like the idea of being able to mix dimmers/switches in one plate though, which would be handy as I plan on having 4 in my kitchen/diner - 1 for kitchen main light (switch), 1 for kitchen cupboard lights (switch), 1 for garden light (switch), 1 for dining room (dimmer).

Normally I'd need a 3 gang switch and a 1 gang dimmer using 2 double accessory back boxes... to much cutting out for that!

?

I fitted a grid with fuses, and flex outlets below the worktop. Sockets behind the appliances made them stick out unfortunately.

Remember the switches are usually rated at 20amp, so cannot be used on a 32amp ring main without first being fused down.

If you were using a 20amp or 16amp circuit, you could fit a grid without fuses, if you left sockets behind the appliances, or fitted fused outlets there.

it depends on how you set it up

If you want a nice tidy bank of switches for everything above the countertop you can use the 20A DP switches above, then sockets or FCU's under the counter

I guess it depends how many appliances you have and where they are as to which is the best method for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back