MK Sentry question

H

hello1979

I'm having the consumer unit changed in my flat. Installed by "competent" person, LA informed and qualified person coming around to check sign off at the end.

I bought the MK Sentry split load consumer unit for them to save on a bit of cash and leave them in no doubt as to what I wanted. The only sticking point was that the whole consumer unit had to be reversed i.e. the main switch had to move from left to right as I cannot move the incoming feed and there is nowhere else for it to go.

My issue now is that the RCD seems to have been changed around. The Live is going through the switch side of the RCD and the neutral through the non switch side. I was advised that this needed to be done as the bus bar would be in the way of any neutral cable coming out.

Is this correct and can this be done or is it dangerous? I've added some pictures for clarification and the electrician doing it showed me it worked by showing that the RCDs themselves tripped when the test button was pressed with electricity going through.

Any information would be welcome as I don't want to be dealing with a bodger and his mate who will sign his work off. The bus bar is at the bottom and he has put insulation tape around it due to some slightly jagged edges

Sponsored Links
Both sides of the RCD(s) are switched.

As long as the manufacturer does not specify which side should be which (by marking L & N) it doesn't matter

Thanks for the reply. If you look at the RCD on the first picture, it does seem to say that the L and N are in the other way round, but is this just a recommendation rather than a necessity?

if that's the case, it then means taking "teeth" out of the bus bar and having it run close to the neutral cable

I bought the MK Sentry split load consumer unit for them to save on a bit of cash and leave them in no doubt as to what I wanted. The only sticking point was that the whole consumer unit had to be reversed i.e. the main switch had to move from left to right as I cannot move the incoming feed and there is nowhere else for it to go.

So now you'll ap[preciate that the best person to purchase materials for a job is the competent person that is doing the job.

YOU chose the wrong CU for that configuration. MK sentry is made for the main switch to be at the other end of the DIN rail.

In this situation, anybody with half an idea wold have chosen a different manufacturer, like Hager. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGVC755H1X.html

That would have saved you all that heartache.

It probably did not save you any money at all, did it?

PS, don't rely on any PVC tape to provide insulation over a period of more than a week. It gets tired and falls off. If a job needs doing, it needs doing properly.

Sponsored Links
So now you'll ap[preciate that the best person to purchase materials for a job is the competent person that is doing the job.

It probably did not save you any money at all, did it?

It did, as he was saying he couldn't get it for any less that £120 where I got it for £90 from screwfix.

But is the way it's wired a problem? My dad's an electrician for the railway and obviously doesn't have domestic qualifications, but seems to think it's ok

Unless there are 'Ls' and 'Ns' behind the cover it will be alright.

mF39x8C68qlzCpPKZzUSjIA.jpg

There don't seem to be on those.

I don't actually think it matters electrically but some argue that, when they do, the manufacturer must do it for a reason.

Unless there are 'Ls' and 'Ns' behind the cover it will be alright.

mF39x8C68qlzCpPKZzUSjIA.jpg

There don't seem to be on those.

I don't actually think it matters electrically but some argue that, when they do, the manufacturer must do it for a reason.

Thanks, I was just getting a bit worried when i saw that things were the wrong way around. With my dad's advice and help from here, I'm happy

It will work, but its a pile of poo.
All the connection numbering will be @rse about face.

MK numbering is logically with circuit 1 on the left. Your MCB numbering will be right to left, and the busbar numbers the other way round.

theres so much length on those cables it would have been a piece of p*** to make that tidy :evil:

So now you'll appreciate that the best person to purchase materials for a job is the competent person that is doing the job.

YOU chose the wrong CU for that configuration. MK sentry is made for the main switch to be at the other end of the DIN rail.
... which the installer didn't refuse to install and didn't both to extend the incoming cables on.

What a hash - look at all that spare DIN rail on the left (right). Perfect place to extend the tails. Would have looked so neat with a couple of DIN terminals.

Instead you've got RCDs now with pictures showing L on left and N on right (front schematic diagram) not wired the correct way as per those pictograms. This may be fine, but you need to have established that the neutral and line switch at the same time. Some isolators will switch the neutral before the line, although I'm not sure of the significance of this, I'm sure it's done for a reason!

I'd ask the manufacturer.

To me it looks like those mains tails would be long enough?

Your competent installer may be competent, and certainly not conscientiousness. That's a blinking mess!

The manufacture will ask for the RCD/RCCB to be fitted in compliance to the instruction that came with the unit it is being fitted to and that the diagram printed on the RCD/RCCB should be followed.

So I guess the printed circuit should show the polarity the reverse to the way it has now been installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back