Mobiles in hospitals

pipme said:
kendor said:
yes but thats a pay for use system with a given number of participants,
Didn't say it was not.
it doesn't apply to all mobile users everywhere.
Didn't say it did.
Again i don't deny the possibilities of the system merely the logistics
Didn't say you did !

Didn't say FA really ...... But some poor, lost surfer may have happened upon this misbegotten, thread been thankful for the knowledge that someone out there cares where his wallet and underlings may be located. ;)
i'm sure you don't need technology to locate your wallet, you'd just trip over it's bulk ;)

Sponsored Links
Kendor the Commissar of Candour !! Wallet ? What is that ? We retirees use a tiny purse.. ;)

pipme said:
Kendor the Commissar of Candour !! Wallet ? What is that ? We retirees use a tiny purse.. ;)
keep forgetting no need for carrying money now you have your free bus pass ;) :LOL:

kendor said:
pipme said:
keep forgetting no need for carrying money now you have your free bus pass ;) :LOL:
Not yet !! Twill be 'off peak' when we will be tucked up in bed keeping warm .. so net cost to bus company = £0 but CT will fork out dosh for every 60 y/o and over .. another load of dosh down the drain ....
:D

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
kendor said:
pipme said:
Not yet !! Twill be 'off peak' when we will be tucked up in bed keeping warm .. so net cost to bus company = £0 but CT will fork out dosh for every 60 y/o and over .. another load of dosh down the drain ....
:D
they are doing you a favour then, making you walk keeps you fit .......at your age ;)

Mobile phones have practically no effect on hospital equipment. I know anaesthetists, intensive care consultants and surgeons who routinely have their mobiles switched on - even in theatre (but usually with the ringer turned off). Although I wouldn't want to cardiovert someone with a mobile nearby - the defib might get confused and shock 'em at the wrong moment!

The real reason why mobiles are banned in hospitals is that it would make a noisy chaotic environment even noiser and more chaotic...

Mobile phones have practically no effect on hospital equipment.

Lifting the ban on mobile phones in hospital being debated by a group of hospital managers. There was a computer monitor on the table. A few minutes into the discussion the image on the monitor "went wonky" ( the words used ). The leader of the discussion who considered mobile phones were safe moved his vibrating mobile phone (on silent alert) away from the monitor saying it was something he had noticed at home. The discussion ended, the ban remained in force.

Although I wouldn't want to cardiovert someone with a mobile nearby - the defib might get confused and shock 'em at the wrong moment!

Most modern AEDs have been designed with close use of mobile radio devices in mind are a fairly immune.

The real reason why mobiles are banned in hospitals is that it would make a noisy chaotic environment even noiser and more chaotic...

The companies that supply the bed side phone services often require the hospital to ban mobile phones to make patients use the companies over priced system to make and receive calls.

There is a danger in using a moblie in a corridor because in an adjacent room there may be a piece of life critical equipment that will be affected by the phones TX emissions.

pipme said:
Hospitals ...... Possible Oxygen rich atmos' .... naked flame or sparks .... not a clever mix !

P
all that flatus in the geriatric wards :mad: :eek: :oops:

When I was in college a girl in my tutorial group used an electric wheelchair.
Once, when her phone rang, the wheelchair shot forward pinning her to the desk (pretty bad due to her diminutive stature, it was compressing her chest).
College issued a memo instructing all students to switch off mobiles on campus.

Although this was back in the day of pull-out aerials and Motorola star-tacs... Used to play cricket with my nokia 2110 at dinner...

bernardgreen said:
The discussion ended, the ban remained in force.
It's nice to see that important decisions are made on a purely scientific basis, with an overt and transparent discussion of the issues involved. :rolleyes:

There is a danger in using a moblie in a corridor because in an adjacent room there may be a piece of life critical equipment that will be affected by the phones TX emissions.
TX emission? Isn't that something invented by Gene Roddenberry?

An article I read the other day stated that mobiles were banned IN SOME HOSPITALS because the company that runs the phone and TV viewing for patients has it written into their contract.

those hospital phone/TV things are terrible. They're fixed so the patient can't turn them off, so they flicker away with ads all day, and they are very expensive for calls both in and out.

I've heard Patientline is in financial troubles because people hate the things and won't use them at such high prices.

edited: Yes, here we are.
"Operating loss before exceptional items was £3.7 million (2005 £2.2 million)"

The Patientline 6-year Share Price Chart. They're now at 4p. Used to be 220p. Ha, ha, ha.

http://www.moneyextra.com/stocks/LS...ears&mavg_period=&image_size=&time=1178189241

ptl

bernardgreen said:
Most modern AEDs have been designed with close use of mobile radio devices in mind are a fairly immune.
That may be true - but you can't cardiovert with an AED!!! You need a proper defib for that job, not one of those stupid talking cattle prods :D

When I had my brain op last August, the surgeon made a few calls on his mobile inside the op. theatre before drilling my skull.....

On second thoughts, maybe he was asking a colleague for instructions :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back