mock tudor board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago I had a timber tudor board in the front of my house replaced. It is the horizonal one in the photo. I just found that there is a small vertical crack on the board (red circled). It is a small one (nearly hairline), but I wonder whether it would get worse with time.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2972 (1).jpg
    IMG_2972 (1).jpg
    296 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Apologies for hijacking your thread but we have tudor boards on the exterior of our house which require attention/replacement, given the section of the forum you have posted this in I am guessing that you engaged a carpenter/joiner to carry out this work for you? Can I ask if that is the case?

I could never figure out if it required a carpenter or a general builder given that it is working at height.

Thanks

A few months ago I had a timber tudor board in the front of my house replaced. It is the horizonal one in the photo. I just found that there is a small vertical crack on the board (red circled). It is a small one (nearly hairline), but I wonder whether it would get worse with time.

Thanks for any advice.

I see you have two rows of screws

One near the top edge of the plank and one near the bottom.

This will always cause a crack when the plank dries out and tries to shrink across its width (not its length)

The screws restrain the edges and prevent them shrinking together

So it must split.

You can avoid this by making the holes so large that they can move about the screws, with a button or large washer under the head, or by using woodworking joints that accommodate movement.

Sponsored Links

Mock Tudor Knot.jpg

I think what you have there is possibly a knot in the timber. If it is it would probably have cracked less if the knot had been placed on the bottom edge rather than the top edge. Yes, it might get worse as water gets in to it, especially if it freezes in winter (as water expands when it turns into ice)

I could never figure out if it required a carpenter or a general builder given that it is working at height.
I'm a carpenter. I often work at height (e.g. roofing rafters, trusses, upper floor joists, etc) and even at times off step ladders, scaffolding towers, scissor lifts and cherry pickers (biggest to date a 125 footer). Working at height safely really isn't a function of the job title, it's simply the outcome of appropriate training (after you have qualified as a whatever).

And as it's wood, I'd suggest a chippie would be a better bet (but then, I would :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back