tudor board replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a timber tudor board in the front of my house replaced. It is the horizonal one in the photo. After the work was done, I found that the board actually consists of two separate boards. I think that they ordered one big board and I don't understand why they had to cut it in half to fit on the wall. The workman explained that there is a "channel" in the middle for draining water. However, I don't see there is any big gap for passing water.
Is he telling the truth?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2972.jpg
    IMG_2972.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply. It's not overlapped, just two boards very closely "coupled".

My after thought: they may not have the board of right length and yet they don't want to come back on another day, so they fit 2 shorter ones together. Just one explanation.

Doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to me but I am a funny bugger when it comes to this sort of thing.
The thing that instantly strikes me is, it appears to be fixed with countersunk screws, whereas the surrounding boards are fixed with a 'decorative' fixing which gives it some style. I wouldn't be happy with that at all as it looks out of character with the rest of the frontage.

Sponsored Links
I just had a timber tudor board in the front of my house replaced. It is the horizonal one in the photo. After the work was done, I found that the board actually consists of two separate boards. I think that they ordered one big board and I don't understand why they had to cut it in half to fit on the wall. The workman explained that there is a "channel" in the middle for draining water. However, I don't see there is any big gap for passing water.
Is he telling the truth?

Thanks for any advice.

It’s a crap job.

1) original has a rustic bandsaws face, new doesnt - this alters the light reflection and texture of the surface.
2) I can’t see any need for a join
3) it should have an angle on top edge to allow water run off
4) original has dummy oak plugs fitted left proud

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back