Modem com port prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friends has XP. The modems com port is always open, Have deleted all the dial up networking. Still open. Any ideas

Sponsored Links
Soemthing else hogging the port? fax program maybe? Is this an internal or external modem? I suspect internal, if so, how about changing the port on the modem. have you tried to query the modem? (control panel, phone & modem, properties,diagnostics) do you get a response?

It is internal have changed the com port same response. Modem no response to diagnostics. Something is holding the port open wondered if there was a easy to find the cause. I am going to change it to a old external one I have. Should have more luck. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
IF you get no response trying to query the modem, then either the modem is kaput or its a driver issue. Modems are horrible when it comes to drivers as many will accept just about any drivers but then not work properly. This has been the case since 9X, it is better with xp as it has a lot of generic driver support for modems. If you have a spare external then go for it.

Back