Unhelpful Modem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a solution for my modem which I cannot get to work. I have a PC which I have installed a new modem. I have installed the correct drivers and software but still it won't work. The modem boots up but will not get a dailing tone. I am running windows XP, and have checked for any conflicts etc. The PC works on Broadband via an ethernet but not via the modem.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a phone in the socket you are trying to plug the modem into?. If its the same line that ADSL is on have you put a spliiter into the outlet? sometimes modems can be a bit choosey if they are running on an ADSL line. Make sure you have a good quality splitter, not one of the cheap ones with minimal components. The Fujitsu is currently one of the best on the market. http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/

Thanks for that.

I have tried this and all seems fine.

Any other ideas ?

Can you try the modem anywhere else, you say its a new one, so I guess you don't know if it has ever worked.

Have you got call waiting or any such other services on the line you are using.

Have you tried the modem diagnostics?

Sponsored Links
We have put in a working modem into a new PC running XP Pro SP2. The modem
does not seem to get dial tone from a tested and working cable into the
PSTN.
Modem diags prove fine, as it responds to the AT commands.
In hardware profile there are no conflicts, and the drivers appear to be
fine.

Answers to the questions:
Modem has worked in another PC.
No call waiting on 630710 no other services (on your phone, and my phone)
Diags are fine.

Thx

The modem could still be defective, even if the diags say it is ok. The line side and pc side are separate. We get PCs in, where customers have installed a modem with the machine off, but with the psu still on, if you see what I mean. Line interface fried, but modem diags ok. Similar can happen during a storm.

However, if it still works in another machine, then try these

Has the modem got two sockets on the back, and if so have you used the correct one. Sounds stupid, but easily done.

Are there any other modem drivers installed (previous modems)? If so, remove them. Also, have you tried another modem cable?

Remove the modem drivers, put the modem in a different slot and reload the drivers.

If this fails, post the modem model and the resources it is trying to use. Also, you mention software? Have you tried using the WIndows dialler?

Alternatively, try another modem

The modem could still be defective, even if the diags say it is ok.
Tried two Modems now, could be that both have "died" in the migration, it
seems hardly unlikely that both Modems have given up the ghost.

Has the modem got two sockets on the back, and if so have you used the
> correct one. Sounds stupid, but easily done
Tried both sockets, same symptoms apply

Are there any other modem drivers installed (previous modems)? If so,
> remove them. Also, have you tried another modem cable?
No other Drivers around. Have de-installed and re-installed these.

Remove the modem drivers, put the modem in a different slot and reload the
> drivers.
Have moved into another slot, with different modem also. No joy

If this fails, post the modem model and the resources it is trying to use.
> Also, you mention software? Have you tried using the WIndows dialler?
Not sure what " WIndows dialler" is? Am using XP to connect to the dialers
configured.

Alternatively, try another modem
Have tried two now.

Try a different cable between the modem and the wall socket. Wouldn't be the first time a duff cable has caught anyone out.

nstreet said:
Try a different cable between the modem and the wall socket. Wouldn't be the first time a duff cable has caught anyone out.

Thought i'd mentioned that in previous post, but not :oops:. Yes, also a common problem.

Another thing to check is that the country setting is correct as some default to US.

Sponsored Links
Back