Modern innovation in plumbing and gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to produce a power point on this matter I was thinking of including stuff like crimped pipe, and hydrogen blend on the gas side. Any more ideas please?

Sponsored Links
There is no innovation, the era of using gas as a fuel is at it's end.

Hydrogen blending is what gas companies want so they can continue using their gas distribution infrastructure while claiming environmental improvements that mostly don't exist.

"Modern innovation" -as opposed to old-fashioned innovation- are you talking speculative stuff that's not yet on the market and may never be or stuff that's been widely adopted because it works and is cost-effective?

What's your criterion for modern - last week, last year, last ten years, last twenty years?

I don't no it's a power point for a plumbing lecturer post. Yes I agree there is no modern innovation with gas really

Sponsored Links
Oh, give them weather comp, underfloor, internet connectivity, the transition from SE to condensing, ASHP, and for bonus points the 4 litre flush toilet.

Standard (combustion) efficiency before condensing boilers were mandatory.

Toilet flushes were 9litre now 6/3 litre and dual flush. Any more to add to that?

That the reduced flush has actually been counterproductive in reducing water use. There are so many leaking dual flush valves that more water is now wasted than if everyone had stuck to the old school syphon flush.

I have always maintained that the EU reducing our toilet flushes from 9L to 6L. As mentioned, it achieves little and, in my experience, causes more water wastage.
Perhaps it's only me, but I rarely find that a single flush effectively removes all of the poo, and almost invariably need to flush twice (or even thrice occasionally). I never had that problem when (in the good old days) we had a 9L cistern with the additional advantage of it being raised about head height.
(No, I'm not trying to be funny. I really mean it!)

For water plumbing you can talk about barrier plastic pipe, push-fit couplers and the massive deskilling of first fix plumbing if you wanted to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back