flammable gas in my radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is a follow up to my question about bizarre pressure increase in a water central heating system.

You guys were right, it is hydrogen gas- go to youtube to see a video of me flaring off my radiator :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMjYnTGV9ks

Anyone have any idea how I stop this problem- the system is back to 3 bar - that is at least one radiator containing 3 bar of hydrogen gas as it keeps leaking into teh system and running around the pipes making a funny squirly noise- one radiator is only hot up to teh bottom 2"...

Sponsored Links
this is a follow up to my question about bizarre pressure increase in a water central heating system.

You guys were right, it is hydrogen gas- go to youtube to see a video of me flaring off my radiator :eek:

Anyone have any idea how I stop this problem- the system is back to 3 bar - that is at least one radiator containing 3 bar of hydrogen gas as it keeps leaking into teh system and running around the pipes making a funny squirly noise- one radiator is only hot up to teh bottom 2"...

why not invest in a giant balloon yea could make a few bob out of this doing balloon trips from yea back garden.
I would name it the Hindenburg.

nice1 bob

seriously the system needs to be flushed

have a look at the FAQ's for further details

:)

Anyone have any idea how I stop this problem-

Cor! Thanks for that!

The cause is usually no inhibitors, but it is increased by acid flux residues and (rarely) degraded anti-freeze, if any has ever been put in the system.

The system needs flushing, to get rid of any residues of flux and to remove any corrosion products (magnetite sludge) lying in the radiators. Adding inhibitors should stop it. If you can get some litmus paper, test the pH. Acid water (pH below 7) usually causes it.

Sponsored Links
would making the water alkaline stop it then?
do you not get the problem in hard water areas?

would making the water alkaline stop it then?
do you not get the problem in hard water areas?

Yes, it usually does, but I'm not a chemist and I'm getting out of my comfort zone writing about chemical reactions.

One common water treatment method (there are others) involves using sodium hydroxide to adjust the pH to 8 or 9; this stops galvanic corrosion which is generating the hydrogen. However, Sentinel inhibitors (for example) use a different composition containing molybdates, which is slightly acidic; I have no idea how that works.

You get the problem in all areas. The limescale in water will not neutralise much acid. IMHO, the most common cause is sloshing on great gobs of acid flux, or using acidic cleaners and failing to flush and neutralize it.

Edit to add; It can also be caused by an electrical defect;
http://www.fernox.com/?cccpage=elec_faults&sub=3

It is most usually caused by galvanic corrosion & acid flux residues.

If you employ a Gas Safe registered engineer he can take a small pipe of about 10mm from the top of each rad and return it to the boiler and connect it in place of the gas supply.

You will then be able to run your heating completely free of charge.

Note however that hydrogen has a different molecular weight to natural gas, CH4, and the boiler combustion settings will need to be changed unless your boiler already has a Lambda sensor and feedback loop to adjust for different fuel gas compositions.

I dont recommend putting caustic soda or anything other than a proper inhibitor best preceeded by a desludger.

Tony

If you employ a Gas Safe registered engineer he can take a small pipe of about 10mm from the top of each rad and return it to the boiler and connect it in place of the gas supply.

You will then be able to run your heating completely free of charge.

Tony

haha nice one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back