Modern vs Re-claimed brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning an extension. Will have to knock down original attached garage to do it. Considering re-using the bricks from the original garage to build part of the extention (maybe the front facing section). I also have some from neighbours houses after their extentions...they are 1930s and feel pretty hefty and solid.

The question is....is this a fools errand. Are the "reclaimed" bricks going to be a lower quality compared to "matched" modern ones? Are they going too be compromised in any way? How much damage to a reclaimed brick is too much?

Have looked for past answers but nothing comes up really. Thought it would have been asked before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It should not be a problem at all. The amount of damage you accept will be pretty much up to you and what to want it all to look like. It can be labour intensive chopping off the old mortar but I have done it to maintain appearance on my own house estension and it was worthwhile.

Remember the size of the brick will also match up otherwise it can be difficult to find a good match. New "Blues" are available in old sizes as well should you need some to get the desired finish. Check yours but a modern brick will be 65mm tall when laid. Older bricks can be as much as 10mm bigger.

If you can't do it all in the old brick consider a feature panel for contrast.

Even if you use a reclaimed brick that matches exactly, you are unlikely to get the mortar spot on unless you have a sympathetic and conscientious builder to boot.

In other words, the masonry will look new irrespective of old looking bricks.

Whilst I'm not saying don't use them rather just be aware that all of your time and effort may not yield the results you want and that it is more time consuming for the bricky to use reclaimed bricks rather than new.

As I have said, it is all down to the expertise of the bricky and how well he matches the mortar as well as the bricks.

You must also consider how the bricks will 'gauge up' and along (perp's) and how this works in with your new openings.

Sponsored Links
Even if you use a reclaimed brick that matches exactly, you are unlikely to get the mortar spot on unless you have a sympathetic and conscientious builder to boot.

I thought this may be the case, however the existing house does need total re-pointing and re-rendering (it is half rendered). I was hoping this would more readily blend the two... i may just use the reclaimed bricks for the front elevation (although there is the possibility I have enough for the side elevation too).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back