Modular Grid Dimmer - anyone recognise this?

No, i mean the connections

:)

The pic looks like the wires are connected to L1 And L2 which is not normal.

Oh and you said previously your using 240v GU10 so theres unlikely to be a transformer in the loft, 12volt MR16 lamps which look similar would however use transformers ;)

Ps, ignore the posible upcoming posts regarding Transformers/ smps, its not relevant to your situation :)

Sponsored Links
Ah right I see what you mean, yes it does look like that but I'll check and report back. It's all screwed to the wall at the moment because although the dimmer has failed the on/off switch still works so I've just reassembled it and use it as a switch 'til the replacement arrives.

Rocky, there's only two wires in/out and it's a switch/dimmer so obviously it's the line from the transformer in the loft. I'm just guessing though because it was done by a professional electrician during a full re-fit of the bathroom. On this basis I trust it is correct. The dimmer switches the halogen downlighters, the other two switch some led lights around a mirror and a single downlighter in the shower cubicle which also triggers an integral extractor fan.

What transformer? You said they were GU10 lights. GU10s usually run at 240v, thus no transformer required.

Ok fair enough leave be for now if ok

Do not however connect your new one like that though if it is L1 L2, that may be why it short lived or "just an illusion"

L1 and com is the norm or L2 and com

Sponsored Links
Rocky, there's only two wires in/out and it's a switch/dimmer so obviously it's the line from the transformer in the loft. I'm just guessing though because it was done by a professional electrician during a full re-fit of the bathroom. On this basis I trust it is correct. The dimmer switches the halogen downlighters, the other two switch some led lights around a mirror and a single downlighter in the shower cubicle which also triggers an integral extractor fan.

What transformer? You said they were GU10 lights. GU10s usually run at 240v, thus no transformer required.
Yeah sorry, getting confused because I've got so many different lights in the house :LOL: No transformer.

Is that a big house with a 5litre car on the drive
Hence "RICH 5 LTR :D

Now you're stalking me ;)

ETA - All sorted, thanks for all your help. And yes the car in the garage is a TVR Griffith 500 :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back