Moisture and Ice in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So weve had a new roof put on the house and over the extension about 3 Months ago. The Roof was fully stripped off and new membrane/Battens applied then new tiles put on. There were Fascia Vents all round the roof. Inside the loft there's around 300mm of insulation up there between the ceiling rafters. this is now wet as there's Ice and moisture on the inside of the membrane which is dripping on to the insulation. Ive read the loft should have adequate ventilation are the fascia vents enough for doing this? Ive read on other forums there should be a vents at the ridge but there's none?

How do we improve this and remove the moisture from the Loft? We still have a full scaffold up around the house so if anything needs doing with regards to the roof the scaffolds there.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a dry ridge system might be a good idea.

Presuming your membrane is breathable, and not black bitumen felt (not breathable)?

Perhaps post some photos if you can.

The roof already has a dry Ridge System yes its s breathable membrane

45F03849-D8E7-4195-AB6D-79CBD5ADF9F8.jpeg
D70AAA70-4C4D-415D-8D75-9ABFE7BF1E19.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Examine moisture generating processes in the house. I've see all sorts of carp over the time, stuff like tumble dryers and bathroom extractor fans venting into the loft.. But even regular activities like drying washing on rads, boiling pans without using the extractor generate large quantities of moisture that should be dealt with more effectively than letting it soak into some permeable aspect of the building fabric ..

Check the loft hatch is insulated, frequently these aren't and can allow warm/moist air into the loft.

Fit a couple of vent tiles, I am not a roofer but they worked for me in my “stuffy/dusty” loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back