Moisture Resistant Plasterboard questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts!

I have some questions about the best way to tackle tiling/painting an area where I have put up some Gyproc Moisture Resistant plasterboard.

A rough visual guide follows:

I have 2 walls with the MRPB and one breezeblock wall which is plastered, and am going to install a bath with a power-shower unit mounted above it.

There is a small area on one of the boards where I would like to paint it rather than tile it, but the rest of the area will be tiled.

Despite carefully searching for hours as well as reading the British Gypsum White Book I haven't found definitive answers to the following questions:

--------

1. The white book suggests that I should be able to tile straight onto the plasterboard as long a waterproof grout and sealant is used.

However I have seen numerous places where it is suggested that something along the lines of BAL WP1 should be applied first.

What is the general thinking on this? Is it better safe than sorry, or a bit over the top for this setup?

--------

2. I used straight-edged board rather than tapered as this was what was suggested for use when tiling in the White Book, which also says that to joint the board - fill the gap with sealant.

Does that sound right to you, or should I use some tape? How would I smooth the surface out though given it is not tapered?

--------

3. For the small painted area would I be correct in believing that I could use the Gyproc plasterboard Primer/Sealant and then paint straight onto it?

It looks like this will put me back around £40 though, which seems a bit daft for such a small area - maybe best to extend the tiling all the way round?

--------

4. What should I put on the areas of the plasterboard hidden by the bath? Do I need to protect it with something (presumably the BAL WP1 stuff).

--------

Hopefully that is clear, and many many thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
You need to tank plasterboard or use Aquapanel. The plasterboard is moisture resistant - not waterproof. It'll end in tears if you don't.

1) I would be careful and plan your tiles so you don't have tile edge in line with board edge, if they are not tape jointed.
2) I would just tape, belt/braces
3) MRB are normally used as a tile base and not really ideal for painted surfaces. If painting was the only option I would go down the line of the least expensive mist coat application.
4) If the bath is sealed correctly, there should be no issue regarding boards that are covered by the bath.

I think personally think that BAL grip adhesive and microflex grout
will be adequate for this project.

Might epoxy grout not be safer on the MRPB tiled areas near the shower?

Sponsored Links
It was a question rather than suggestion. I just wondered if it might be more waterproof than normal grout. I guess however that it will flex less..

I don't think the waterproof qualities of epoxy in comparison to microflex will be much different.
But Microflex is specified to protect against bacteria and black mould.
Where epoxy will be more suitable for an environment against a chemical reaction.
I am not saying that it can not be used in this instance.

The bottom line is that the PB needs tanking.

MRPB is fine for dry bathroom areas but agree with joe, wet areas should be tanked or it’ll most likely end in tears especially if you having an over bath power shower; waterproof tile backer board is by far a better option both above & below the bath & is no more expensive when you factor in the cost of tanking. Make sure the board joints do not coincide with tile grout lines

You should always tape board joints & skim over with tile adhesive; the small difference in height won’t make any difference if tiling. I would plaster skim any board area your just planning to paint it will look & last much better but MR board must be primed before plastering.

What type/size/weight tiles are you laying? What type of adhesive are you planning?

You should use Gyproc MR plasterboards. The structure of Gyproc MR plasterboards is more stronger than normal plasterboards. They are also moisture resistant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back