Moisture running down inside walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, 60s bungalow has damp moisture running down one of the bedroom walls, I’ve checked the roof and all sound, just wondering if soffit vents would cure the problem? Any ideas..

Sponsored Links
Water getting under tiles and running down felt. Then falls short of gutter and runs down wall. Lift bottom 2 rows of tiles had have a look.
It's common thing on my estate with 1960s bungalows.

Felt fitted under existing felt with felt supports added to gutter.
Also fix where water is getting under tiles

As I said I’ve checked the roof (ex roofer), this is not actually running water as in a leak, it’s more like damp streaks in the emulsion on the top part of wall.

Sponsored Links
I had this same issue in my old bungalow, dripping down the internal walls and sporadic patches and staining on the ceilings. I've never experienced it before and was very worried that it would be expensive and put a downer on moving to my new place! As has been said it will mostly likely be condensation on the underside of the roof felt tracking and trickling down at various points. I fixed my problem very cheaply about £30 by adding a load of lap vents to the felt membrane, resulting in more movement of air up there and it's been condensation free for about a year now...

If you wanted to throw money at the problem you can do loads from soffit vents, ridge vents, fitting new breathable membrane, fitting mechanical vents etc, but I tried the cheapest and easiest DIY option first and it was almost immediately resolved with visible reduction of moisture within a few days, no dripping within a week and completely touch dry within a few weeks to a month...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back