Wall Vents - High or Low?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening Guys.

Have moved to a small 2 bed bungalow. We have a rear north facing bedroom that suffers from excessive moisture on double glazed windows and surface damp on upper corner where two external walls meet.

This is obviously where the warm moisture laden air meets the cold walls thus forming the damp.

The bathroom and kitchen have properly fitted fans and we are careful not to contribute to excessive internal moisture build up.

The bedroom clearly needs ventilation so I propose to fit a wall vent to aid circulation.

My question is - Would it be better to fit the vent high up where the damp is forming or low down near the floor?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Generally vents would go 300mm down from the ceiling and 300mm in from the room corner, and [diagonally] opposite the door to the room.

You can get draught-free one-piece vents rather than just a plain old air brick and plaster vent - google for the " airtech passive vent " or " vapour vent " or similar

if the condensation is more than a little i definatelly think your better with a vent in the area concerned as this will remove the maximum moisture
trickle vents are great but struggle to remove any amount off moisture

Sponsored Links
The primary purpose of air vents is to move the air around, which in turn prevents the air having chance to stay and cool in any one location, and also aids evaporation as air moves past a surface

So its not always the best solution to put a vent just where dampness is

Thanks chaps.

Agree trickle vents would not deal with the moisture build up in that room especially when occupied at night by two humans and 3 dogs!! They are part of the requirement when budget allows replacement of current windows however.

I have sent Airtech an e-mail to find local stockists Woody, thank you.

Now how do you deal with a woman moaning about draughts!!

:)

Agree trickle vents would not deal with the moisture build up in that room especially when occupied at night by two humans and 3 dogs!!
Have you tried opening a window for at least part of the night :idea: ; with that lot in there your generating an awful lot of moisture especially if you also keep the bedroom door shut.

Have you tried opening a window for at least part of the night :idea: ; with that lot in there your generating an awful lot of moisture especially if you also keep the bedroom door shut.

Yeah, the transom is on the ventilation catch all night. Open it any more than that then there would be icicles on the wall!! Opening the bedroom door is not an option at present. I tried gagging the wife but that didn't improve things. :eek: :eek:

This room has a history of poor ventilation and damp. the old boy next door reckons all the walls were painted with a fungicidal wash several years ago to try to stop the mould.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back