Ensuite work.. am I overthinking this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We bought a house with a single skin garage converted into a bedroom w/ensuite (not sure when it was done, less than 10 years ago certainly) - the inner walls are studded with insulated plasterboard.

We are replacing a cheap jacuzzi bath from the ensuite where it currently sits under the window of an external wall.

I'm keen to properly seal and insulate the void underneath the new bath (for one thing, keep the bathwater insulated), and because a lot of drafts/bugs find their way thru the existing... but I'm wondering if I seal under the bath will I be making a damp problem further down the line, given lack of a decent cavity?

The conversion in general does seem to suffer a fair amount of moisture/damp (a cheap moisture trap fills quite easily within weeks) - I've not looked into that much but suspect they didn't damp proof the garage floor very well.

I'm going to throwdown some tanking slurry on the bathroom floor and level with screed as it's being tiled so that may help address any rising moisture issues from the ground.

Is it worth me installing a small 2" (screened) vent behind the bath, say 1-2' above ground level to allow any moisture out should moisture find it's way into the bath void or is that overkill?

Sponsored Links
As behind and under the bath should be plasterboarded and insulated , where are you going to vent your damp air to? Underneath the bath must be the easiest place in the world to damp proof. When people sleep they exhale/sweat about a half a litre of water a night, can this get out? Have you got an extract system for the ensuite?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back