Mold in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, very new to forums but here we go, me and my partner is in the prosses of purchasing a home, on the survey is said that there is condensation in the roof and there is mold located on the undersid of the vallys I believe. A roofer said it is not a major problem and can be fixed my adding extra tile vents and moving the insulation abit from the edge of the loft I was wondering if this is correct any help would be appreciated

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mold-in-loft.591529/#ixzz7T0pzOzAo
IMG-20220507-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220507-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi, very new to forums but here we go, me and my partner is in the prosses of purchasing a home, on the survey is said that there is condensation in the roof and there is mold located on the undersid of the vallys I believe. A roofer said it is not a major problem and can be fixed my adding extra tile vents and moving the insulation abit from the edge of the loft I was wondering if this is correct any help would be appreciated 😀

Worked for me, no mould but there was condensation. 4 tile vents, 2 each side and now all is fine.

It looks like it could do with more ventilation.
You have a breathable underlay but that isn't always enough.
Check the depth of the insulation you have .
Check the extractor isn't leaking into the loft and is connected to the outside. If you have soffit or over fascia vents you can pull insulation back from the edges but make sure there is no exposed plasterboard. You just need enough gap between the top of the insulation and your underlay to allow some air flow.
The valley boards look shabby have you a close up ?

Sponsored Links
The roofer is right, most mould problems can be solved with more ventilation. We would always install vents before doing more invasive work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back