Mondeo 97P Engine turning slowly and wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I wonder if anybody might have an idea of what maybe wrong?

I have a Mk 2 1997 P reg Ford Mondeo 2L 16v Zetec that i have just changed the timing belt on. It wasn't starting previously as the tensioner had broken but there had been no damage to the engine or its components.
Having replaced the timing belt and set TDC and both camshafts i have come to turn the engine over and it cranks very slowly.
I have checked that there is a spark at the plugs and that fuel is entering the system all is ok there.
I have tried jump starting off another vehicle but again still cranks slowly.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as i'm about 20 minutes away from putting a spanner through the screen!!!

Thanks in advance. Jon

Sponsored Links
sounds like outlet valves closed ? hence extremely high compression.

have you had the head off to see if there was any damage ?

have you had the rocker cover off to see the correct operation while turning over ?

Thanks for the quick responses.

The starter motor is fine no problems there

Thanks davydunt, i did have the rocker cover off to check and set the camshaft timing and they all rotated well.

would a compression test show up the problem of the valves closed?

Sponsored Links
To davydunt, have just whipped the spark plugs out to release compression to see if the engine would spin quicker but to no avail. So i dont think it is down to excess compression?

To kilovolt, I set the crankshaft with the manufacturers markings on the sump and crankshaft pulley to obtain TDC and also used the old fashioned way to be 100% sure it was right (plug out on cylinder 1 and a piece of dowel) then set the camshafts using the notches on the ends and the timing setting tool ford supply that to line up with the head.

Ok will try that tomorrow. If anythings been bent then its scrap time for the old girl :( Anyone want a mondeo estate?! lol

All joking apart will try the above and see how that goes it just seems strange that it will only spin slowly. No rattles or knocking or anything sounding rough just that the starter motor doesnt seem to be able to spin the engine.

Thanks to all above for your help so far :)

hi jonjb, my name is mark i have been in the trade for 26 years have read your problem and all the replies you received i think it could be 1ne of 2 things. 1st thing it could be a tired starter motor. 2nd thing you could have a bad earth connection between the engine and the chassis. you could test this yourself simply by putting a jump lead from the earth on the battery and a suitable earthing point on the engine if still turns over slowly i would suggest that it is yor starter motor. good luck and me posted on outcome

Sponsored Links
Back