Mondeo TDCI Flywheel problem and engine cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a 53 plate Mondeo TDCI and recently suffered the Dual mass Flywheel problem at 104K miles. First sign was the starter motor whining and not starting properly. A garage close to my work just cleaned out the motor as it was a Friday but explained the real cause was but said should be OK for a few weeks until the motor got stuffed again but there was no risk of a catastrophic failure and the vehicle was safe to drive. Anyway, having taken in the blow of a quote for £1100 to fit a solid flywheel with clutch, new motor, slave I was fairly relaxed to get better quote which I did for £870 so booked it in at another garage a friend recommended. Then (despite what the first garage said) the car suddenly started dying on me completely (but would restart OK and run for a while) – fortunately I wasn’t far from the garage I’d arranged to do the work so took it there and waited a few days for them to do the job.

Now – having done the full job (they put in a solid mass flywheel conversion) and fitted a new Crankshaft sensor - when they take it for a test run it cuts out without warning, apparently it seems when not under load, so just cruising it will completely die “as if you’ve turned the engine off”. The nightmare is that no codes show up on their diagnostics!!! Nooooo!!!! So they are baffled – have checked all wiring and spoke to Ford who also don’t understand it and say they’ve done all the right things.

I’ve read various horrific threads of people with similar problems of Mondeo TDCI’s suddenly cutting out and the problems of finding the cause at huge expense. Am I just plain unlucky and a quite separate fault has occurred or is it in some way related to the flywheel issue? Frankly I’m gutted that I’ve spent the best part of a grand and still have an unusable vehicle and the prospect of being forced to hand it over to a Ford dealer to randomly replace parts at huge expense. Maybe I should just cut my losses and give up – but then it won’t even rate as a trade in possibility and I need something for work (a round trip of 90 miles)? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If it is not throwing up a fault code I would look to the fuel.
Have you checked the fuel supply? ie blocked filter,or partial blockage in fuel line or fuel tank, faulty solenoid valve on fuel pump.
;)

Check the loom wiring to the crankshaft sensor....just in case its been stretched when the gearbox came out. If the car was behaving well before - in other words not cutting out - consider what was shifted during the clutch work, rather than going down another route at this stage. Just my opinion though! Best of luck with this one....a dreadful scenario.
John :)

Sponsored Links
change the cam shaft sensor on the top of the cam cover, you`ll probably have a black one replace it with a grey one from your ford dealer should cost just over £20 and an easy job to do, one 8mm socket and ratchet will do the job once you get the engine cover off, this mondeo engine is the same as the focus tdci with all the same problems............hope this helps

The EGR valve is a good place to start on mk3 tdci Mondeos, these are always failing giving the symptoms you describe

I have just bought a Ford Mondeo TDCi 52 plate (2003) 130bhp. It was an ex-taxi so I got it for just £900. At the time of sale I was made aware of the cutting out problem, and advised that a mechanic reckoned that the EGR valve needed replacing.

After trawling through endless forums, I decided to replace the Camshaft Sensor (my car had the old black one, replaced it with new grey one from Motor Parts Direct). I then decided to blank the EGR valve - I was getting lots of black smoke from low revs - rather than replace it, I had it cleaned then blanked it.

Blanking the EGR has done wonders to the performance, plus I only get smoke on start up, and when near the red line in 3rd. So that's one problem sorted.

On the test drive after blanking the EGR, the car cut out again at 65mph in 5th gear. What am I missing that needs replacing and checking?

As for the glow plugs, one of them is currently snapped, so they haven't been changed in a while. It's difficult to start the car, but drives fine once you've revved enough to get all the pistons going.

Is the car dying on me an injector issue?

Back