Mondeo TDCI Hydrolic clutch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently brought a 2002 Mondeo TDCI, we have started to have an issue when sometimes when we start the car we cant select any gears, turn the engine off at this point and you can select any gear you want with no problems, turn the engine on and the problem returns, if you turn the engine off for a few minuites the problem goes altogether and you can restart and off you go and it doesn't happen agin for a while. I have been looking at the Haynes manual and it appears that it is either an 'Air in the hydrolic system' problem or a Master/Slave cylinder issue. Can anyone shead any light on this before I get ripped off, sorry libberated of my cash at the garage!!!! Cheers Dan

Sponsored Links
IF - and I emphasise IF - It's like the Vectra C, then the clutch hydraulics are fed from the brake resovoir. Give the brake system a full bleed.

There should be a bleed nipple on the slave cylinder (at the gearbox end). Follow the haynes book of lies for details of how to bleed it.
It's usually the slave cylinders that pack up before the master cyl, so if that doesnt cure it id go for a new slave cylinder which you'll get from any good motorfactors (may have to order it in) alot cheaper than from ford

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:03 pm Post Subject: Mondeo TDCI Hydrolic clutch problem

Hi
I came across this (below) when I was trying to find out about a mondeo clutch problem. This is exactly the way my 04 mondeo is misbehaving! I just want to know how you got it sorted ( I know its a long time ago) - it might save me a mint in garage bills!
Thank you
Vince

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have recently brought a 2002 Mondeo TDCI, we have started to have an issue when sometimes when we start the car we cant select any gears, turn the engine off at this point and you can select any gear you want with no problems, turn the engine on and the problem returns, if you turn the engine off for a few minuites the problem goes altogether and you can restart and off you go and it doesn't happen agin for a while. I have been looking at the Haynes manual and it appears that it is either an 'Air in the hydrolic system' problem or a Master/Slave cylinder issue. Can anyone shead any light on this before I get ripped off, sorry libberated of my cash at the garage!!!! Cheers Dan

Sponsored Links
Mondeo will have slave cylinder located within the gearbox bell housing-known as concentric slave cylinder-all now part of release bearing assembly.
Try looking to see if any fluid is dripping off the bottom of gearbox where it mates to the engine,you may need to drop under engine tray.

If so,that usually means cylinder is leaking internally and will require gearbox removal to access,new clutch at same time as unwise to not replace whilst box is out.

If no fluid leaks,try bleeding out system with either an easy bleed tool or ask garage to pressure bleed.

regards.

If you haven't the cash to fix it. try pumping the clutch before you select a gear especially when stationary.

Be careful don't keep your foot on the clutch in traffic as it may self release due to the leak.

I wish people would start there own posts and not go digging up posts from years ago lol! Very confusing!!!

Back