MONEY SAVING TIP FOR CARPET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a quick one.
I bought underlay from internet and box of gripper rods from Ebay.
Total was £55. Carpet shop was rip off for these items hence why they 'discount' the carpets so much. The carpet fitter said they can make up to £450 on a box of gripper rods if they are sold by the ft. They box costs only £25 and i managed to get a box as mentioned on ebay for £5.50. I think it is a total discrace that a company or any company can rip off the public to that extent hence this post.
Note to self for any one getting a new carpet.!!!.

Sponsored Links
Think the main rip off shops/places are the big boys like carpet right etc.

They sell carpets cheap and make there profit on gripper underlay etc. This makes other shops do the same so they can stay in buissness. (as customer walks in and says 'x' shop has this for 'xxx' amount )

There are many shops accross the u.k that are closing down so they cant be making as much money as some may think.

P.s have you got a link to this gripper for £5ish a box? I cant buy my gripper for less than £30 quid a box. (well i could but its not fit for purpose)

Also £450 profit on a box?? LOL, not where i live!

Alot of people forget what local shops have to pay out so you can see/feel your carpet before you purchase.

Adverage rent for a unit near me is about £35000 for a small place + rates + staff etc leaves a small company needing to find maybe £80000 before thay take a profit.

thats around £250 ish they need to earn a day so they can show you the carpet before you purchase. The way things are going, well you will all be buying carpet blind of ebay without seeing it as there will be no shops left!

we had a customer who attempted to beat us down on the price of a carpet using the internet price as leverage

...we couldnt match the price (would have lost £45 on a £5k order), so she went away muttering

10 days later we got a panic call from this lady requesting help.....

apparently a lorry had turned up and "delivered" 2 full rolls of carpet onto her drive
- for the uninitiated moving a full roll of carpet is usually done by forklift truck or 4 or 5 beefy (and experienced) people.

we declined to become involved and later our decision was vindicated when we heard that the carpet bargain she had purchased was delaminated and full of holes.

so internet buyers beware!

Sponsored Links
we couldnt match the price (would have lost £45 on a £5k order),
£45! Really? I mean that wouldn't be enough for me to worry about but I can see her point of view as I can see yours, not sure I'd be prepared to lose 5K of business over £45 though. The customer was obviously a numpty, didn't agree a proper delivery service and didn't check it before signing for it. Nowt wrong with the internet if you're careful. Just as many sharks running shops, high street buyers beware I say.

Blimey! - so you will quite happily work for a loss? :eek:

How does that work?

We have bills to pay so prefer to make a profit ;)

Blimey! - so you will quite happily work for a loss? :eek:

How does that work?

We have bills to pay so prefer to make a profit ;)
Well on a 5K job I'd have more profit than £45 so taking a £45 cut would be worth it. If I had less than £45 profit on a 5k job...........

...we couldnt match the price (would have lost £45 on a £5k order), so she went away muttering

Think something got lost in translation here, or a typing error?
Don't think it would have been a £5000 job with just £45 profit? Otherwise my advice would be: get a decent accountant ;)

Edited: I got the wrong end of the stick - see below, apologies (sure you'll have a decent accountant ;))

Uhm, he's saying he'd have ended up £45 out of pocket by matching the price.

not sure I'd be prepared to lose 5K of business over £45 though.

Just as many sharks running shops, high street buyers beware I say

You're right Monkeh, I read it wrong (see, lost in translation ;))

As for Freddy: careful you won't get bitten by sharks running shops - I do bite, specially those who think that Internet prices also represents the same value, quality and after care high street retailers provide.

yes I think you misunderstand......

the customer was asking us to supply carpets to a full house.
she had been quoted £5k (approx) by an online retailer
she was asking us to beat or match this price
...we costed the job out and the carpets would have cost us £45 more than she was prepared to pay

yes I think you misunderstand......
I stand corrected ;)

BTW, was it like-for-like quote or for a carpet that looked the same but then much better quality?
Happens to us also, prospect see a Oak engineered floor online (where you can hardly see what you get) and thinks we should beat that price on one of our products that kind of looks the same.

[As for Freddy: careful you won't get bitten by sharks running shops - I do bite, specially those who think that Internet prices also represents the same value, quality and after care high street retailers provide.
Take a chill pill WYL there are plenty of dodgy high street retailers and plenty of dodgy internet outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back