Monitoring 145.500 Mhz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a transceiver, but can't charge and use, so want to monitor call channel and only switch on when some one calling CQ two, I have an old Jingtong IT-208 with US batteries, if I can use that to monitor then I can leave the pofung duel band switched off until some one calls, so will have fully charged batteries.

However will it damage anything leaving the Jingtong switched on sitting in the charging station? It seems to work OK as there is a chime to warn of low batteries which sounds as soon as the squelch is broke, so I know some thing happening on call channel, but is there any danger leaving it on charge switched on?

Sponsored Links
so this is a question about overcharging?

What tech batteries are they? Do you think it is a "smart" charger that should drop back once it detects batteries are full?

Presumably the batteries are a special shape or type and there is no replacement that will fit?

Do you mean JT-208

The batteries are AAA with solder tags, I think Mi-Ah, there seems to be no charge control, just a very low charge rate, charger says 7.2 volt 100 mA, on the radio it says JT-208 on the box radio came in it says IT-208 and I read it off the box, I had intended to buy replacement batteries, however the lack of any charge control it seems likely replacements would not last that long, and the Pofung UV-B5 was so cheap seemed prudent to just buy whole new radio.

However if I turn on the Pofung in the charger it will not stop charging so seems likely it will either over or under charge, so using the old JT-208 to monitor the channel seems the way to go. There is up to date only one guy I have ever heard on 2 meters, really need to set up a bigger aerial with some gain, but that will have to wait until restrictions are lifted. Likely a HB9CV will work fine.

But I only use the radio to monitor railway activity so I know when a train is travelling so I can get out of the way, I am authorised to walk the track looking for faults, and normally no trains Monday and Friday, but the radio is just added safety. Not used it to talk on for a couple of years, use to be member of RAYNET and when they stopped I stopped using radio.

Some where I have a Icom and a Yaesu 290, both side band, but must be over 20 years since used, the Yaesu FT-60R will not switch on, the carbon on on/off button has come off, can't find replacement, some where I have an old Yaesu 208R again batteries rather old, so will not run very long on a charge, but as said they have all been gathering dust, unused for years, so with lock down seemed good idea to dust them off and see if anyone around.

Don't bother, there isn't.
They all gave up due to noise from broadband, homeplugs etc. :)

Sponsored Links
would it be worth fitting new batts? They seem to have come down in price and the capacity is much better now.

I've put better batts in some cordless phones and other devices recently. They take much longer to charge, but the performance and standby time is much improved. The solder tag type are pretty easy to build, but I've also repurposed battery packs intended for model cars (Tamiya?) that come with a pigtail connector.

May be worth ordering a set, since both of the track walkers are licensed having one radio duel watch for input and output of railway repeater and the other to talk between us makes sense. Also a little project while stuck here.

have you tried a Lookout Horn?

192.jpg

Maximum speed permitted is 15 MPH, and steam locos tend to make a lot of noise so really not a problem, in real terms they would not send a loco down the line one was inspecting, it is just in case some error is made.

I always wanted an FT290 when I was younger.

I ordered a charger for my UV-5r's as I couldnt find mine, although I found it the day before the new one arrived lol
The only thing I can hear on it is yanks via a local digital repeater, which I cannot reply to.

The method of adjusting the receive frequency on the FT290 when using side band was not very good, the IC290 was far better, plus the IC290 was 30 watt output where the FT290 was 3 watt I think, I used a MM amplifier hard wired to the PTT to work side band, without it being hard wired you had to remember ummm's between words so the amp did not drop out.

In Suffolk side band worked well, and I could really see the point, in North Wales, Falklands, and Hong Kong don't think I heard a single side band call. And yes the batteries lasted better but the tele aerial was a pain mobile, I had a rubber duck, and it looked as if you were walking around with a hand bag.

Remember back then mobile phones were not around, so with an ear talker in the FT290 standing on a street corner with RAYNET people looked at you as if you had a screw loose, standing there talking to yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back