Monobloc kitchen tap leaking at swivel joint with taps turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cleaned a lot of Limescale build up off my kitchen tap yesterday and now I have a leak.

The leak is coming from the swivel joint and continues even with both taps turned off. The fact that it is still leaking even with both taps in the off position does this mean it is something more serious than replacing the O rings on the spout which I have read about?

Sponsored Links
It's a slow trickle of continuous water definitely coming from the swivel joint of the mixer tap even with both taps in the off position.

In which case, the tap valves must be passing......although I can't see why this should have just happened unless you have disturbed them.
Presumably before, there was a drip from the end of the spout, rather than at the swivel?
John :)

Sponsored Links
In which case, the tap valves must be passing......although I can't see why this should have just happened unless you have disturbed them.
Presumably before, there was a drip from the end of the spout, rather than at the swivel?

There has been no drip from the spout. It is only since I cleaned limescale off from around the swivel joint that the leak has started so presumably the limescale was acting as a seal.

Is the possible solution to replace both hot and cold valves and if I can remove the spout (there is no grub screw holding it so presumably it should! just pull up and off) and then the O rings on the spout?

I would consider attempting just to replace the whole monobloc but access would be almost impossible. The monobloc is about 20 years old!

I cannot see any reason why it could continue to leak at the joint but not leak from the spout.

If the limescale was just sealing the spout swivel, then eventually the water would leak from the spout beak itself.....?
Anyway, you need to tell us if the tap valves are ceramic disc type (1/4 turn) or compression (with a traditional rubber washer inside) before we can advise on a repair.
To take the spout off, there's usually a grub screw around the back, but some spouts come off by swinging them 90 degrees to the side and pulling them out.

I think I may have seen some that needed to be swung 180 degrees to the back but that's not always possible when against the wall.

If the limescale was just sealing the spout swivel, then eventually the water would leak from the spout beak itself.....?
Anyway, you need to tell us if the tap valves are ceramic disc type (1/4 turn) or compression (with a traditional rubber washer inside) before we can advise on a repair.
To take the spout off, there's usually a grub screw around the back, but some spouts come off by swinging them 90 degrees to the side and pulling them out.

The valves are compression and there is no grub screw holding the spout to the base at the swivel joint.

What I have noticed is that the leak stops once the taps have not been used for about 30 minutes if that gives any further clue to the cause of the problem. The leak is worse when either tap is actually being used.

As mentioned above... It would seem that water is draining out of the spout itself and, after 30mins, it has emptied! To confirm, you need to get the spout off and dry everything with kitchen roll to see if water still weeps out from the tap body, with taps off! Did you use you a limescale remover on the joint? This may have pushed the o ring beyond its final usefulness ;)

As mentioned above... It would seem that water is draining out of the spout itself and, after 30mins, it has emptied! To confirm, you need to get the spout off and dry everything with kitchen roll to see if water still weeps out from the tap body, with taps off! Did you use you a limescale remover on the joint? This may have pushed the o ring beyond its final usefulness ;)

Thank you - Yes I did use a limescale remover and the O rings on the spout would be about 20 years old so that is probably the issue. I will do as you suggest and see how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back