monobloc kitchen taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l'm going to buy some monobloc kitchen taps tomorrow and just want a bit of advice.First of all l would like to know if l can replace the copper tap tails with flexible ones, and are the tails into the bloc the same sizes.Also when tightening the tails would it be a good idea to put plumbers tape around the threads, how tight do they need to be. :confused:

Sponsored Links
yes u can replace them if u want. cant remember what size they are...12mm i think

the flexis for sink taps have rubber o ring at the top of the thread but i always had some ptfe to assist, say 3-4 wraps.

For what it's worth, I never add PTFE to a rubber seal.

so tell me guys does plumbers tape help or not on tail pipe threads.Also what lengths do these flexible tail hoses come in, because l may need quite alot from the bloc to the supply copper connection.

Sponsored Links
Many of the solid copper tails are bigger than the flexy ones, which are all quite small and to be avoided on gravity supplies. You can buy almost anything you want, but Diyers typically love long thin flexies which all but stop the water coming out of the tap! If you have a combi/ high pressure hot it probably won't matter though.

All the tails I think, seal on an O ring which should be lubricated. Putting ptfe on the thread does absolutely nothing - the threads aren't what's supposed to make the seal.

ray316 said:
so tell me guys does plumbers tape help or not on tail pipe threads.
If you're asking whether or not it helps seal a tap connector to a tap tail, then I would say that it depends on the shape of the tail and the washer being used. I often use PTFE as well as a fibre washer if the internal diameter of the tail is much bigger than the part of the connector that is being inserted.

If you're thinking of putting PTFE on the threads of the tap tail, I would ask you why there would be any water on the threads of the tap tail. Ever.

ray316 said:
Also what lengths do these flexible tail hoses come in, because l may need quite alot from the bloc to the supply copper connection.
Various lengths, but why not extend the copper rather than have a longer version of something that's going to let you down sooner than copper?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back