Monobloc Mixer to plastic pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a question and have been googling around to get the answer, but I cant seem to get the info I need.
So..

I want to replace an existing monobloc mixer with a new monobloc mixer.
I have an exiting monobloc mixer tap (kitchen sink) which has copper tails (hoses?) that connect straight into Hep2o Valves (a shut-off valve I think they call this)(which has pushfit at both sides) which then connects to the plastic pipe which I believe is 15mm. (1 hot water, 1 cold water).

One of the valves is damaged and needs to be replaced, but I read a bit about these older type Hep2o (its not like the newer one that is available now) and many say dont re-use them anyway.

So basically I am looking for the most straightforward way to connect the new monobloc mixer (which has removable tails) to the 15mm Plastic pipe and ideally including an isolating valve.

Looking around throws up plenty of apparent ways to do this, but I like to know what others recommend.

I was thinking that I could get a new flexible hose/tail for the mixer but then what type of valve do I need? I notice there is a Hep2o 'service valve' that has a screw thread at one end would that help? Screw the mixer hose onto that and then pushfit this onto the exist plastic pipe?

Somebody also told me there is such a thing as a monobloc mixer hose that has a built in valve?

Sorry for the long post, by brain is being fried with all the possibilities!

Sponsored Links
You could use monobloc tap connectors (flexi) to push fit fittings: -

For instance: -

Pipe - isolating valve - pipe - tap connector - tap.

That way you can get rid of the existing valves if they are a problem.

Thanks for the reply TeaTime.

So to trouble you some more(sorry)...

My shopping list would be:

• Hep2o Pushfit flexible monobloc connector (Reasonable price on screwfix, is another brand better though? e.g. JG Speedfit).
    Hep2o Shutoff valve Pushfit at both ends
    Hep2o Pipe inserts for above
    Length of 15mm Plastic pipe (barrier pipe I think this is called?) (And there is a Hep2o branded version of this)

Then the fix would be:

• Isolate water before starting!
    Attach monobloc connecter (hose) to tap.
    Pushfit other end of hose to small piece of plastic pipe.
    Pushfit other end of small piece of plastic pipe to valve
    Pushfit other end of valve to existing 15mm pipe.

That sounds reasonable to me.
A couple of other question from this then,

Is there any reason why plastic pushfit fittings had been installed here? (other parts of my house have plastic pipe to nickel plated brass service valves which connect directly to the tap)

Is the existing 15mm pipe (which is branded 'hepworth') suitable for these Hep2o fittings? - I would guess it is as it already has an old fashioned Hep2o fitting on it. (Just trying to make sure I have all the information I need)

Thanks again.

Your shopping list is fine.
Your methodology seems to be sound, providing you know how to use Hep2O correctly. Read up online if not.

Reason other parts of your house have pushfit and other dont: -

Plumber preference?
When the pipework was installed etc etc.....

Is the existing barrier pipe? If it's been in for years and you haven't had any bother then I would assume it will be suitable.

Unless anyone else here knows the pipework specifically...

Sponsored Links
Quick update on this...

Purchased the items as listed and completed the job on Friday and so-far-so-good :D

I cut back the original pipe and used new inserts instead of reusing the existing ones, I could have used the original inserts (asked this in another post) the original pipe was a too long so had to cut it anyway.

Hep2o was very straightforward to fit, just need good pipe cutters to get a nice clean square cut.
Hep2o installers manual easy to follow also.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back