Months Of DIY Work Destroyed In 2 Days...

Sponsored Links
Feel sorry for you.

Before you do anything, see what a different, highly recommended plasterer says first.

I started putting stop bead an inch or so above the floor when building orangeries and the plasterer would go down to it -it left a nice square., flat edge to the work

Carpenters nightmare having to deal with the plasterers ski slope

Plasterers these days can use an OX speed skim and get walls proper flat….so there’s no excuse.

I hope you didn’t get the plasters through checkatrade?

Then start the unpleasant legal route to get our money back for the new plasterboard
You are probably on a hiding go nothing if it’s a limited company

Have a drive around your area, when you see an extension being built, call in and ask the builder who he uses for plastering - good builders get themselves a good set of subbies.

Sponsored Links
I started putting stop bead an inch or so above the floor when building orangeries and the plasterer would go down to it -it left a nice square., flat edge to the work

That's a good idea.

I've used wooden battens in the past, intended as a ground for later skirting.

Oof, well done, have you not paid them then?
Nope - not paid them a penny.
Feel sorry for you.

Before you do anything, see what a different, highly recommended plasterer says first.
Yep, we'll do that first.

Carpenters nightmare having to deal with the plasterers ski slope

Plasterers these days can use an OX speed skim and get walls proper flat….so there’s no excuse.

I hope you didn’t get the plasters through checkatrade?
No - it was a Facebook recommendation.
That's a good idea.

I've used wooden battens in the past, intended as a ground for later skirting.
Good idea.

I think looking for tradesmen on facebook is a recipe for disaster. cannot imagine any reputable or busy plasterers scouring facebook for work. Normally start ups or chancers

Back home from work, couple more pics as it's drying out...

Chap at work mentioned it could be possible to chisle out the worst of the thick plaster in the curved corners, then sand, fill, sand, fill until it was right?

Only exploring options until a second plasterer comes round to give his/her opinion for any further action.

Attachments

• 20240221_091037.jpg
    20240221_091037.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 20240221_194025.jpg
    20240221_194025.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 196
Looking at some of those pictures I think the plasterboard can’t have been straight/level/flush before any plaster hit those walls…

Looking at some of those pictures I think the plasterboard can’t have been straight/level/flush before any plaster hit those walls…
I'm an self-confessed, anally-retentive, ex-chippy. The stud work, battens and boards were fitted to perfection. Took a long time, but you could have calibrated your tools off those walls before the plaster went on!

I think looking for tradesmen on facebook is a recipe for disaster. cannot imagine any reputable or busy plasterers scouring facebook for work. Normally start ups or chancers
I agree completely. I think what happened with us was a standard google-type search of local plasterers led us to several facebook pages because outside of normal websites, everyone seems to also have a facebook page to further show off their work, etc these days.

I'm a self-confessed, anally-retentive, ex-chippy. The stud work, battens and boards were fitted to perfection. Took a long time, but you could have calibrated your tools off those walls before the plaster went on!
Ok, but it would have taken a very high degree of skill to get that corner (with your square on it) to be >10mm out of square and still maintain a relatively flat surface with multi finish.

IMG_1766.jpeg

Similarly, you can see very straight angles /lines where the PB joints are, that look like they’re not flush.

IMG_1767.jpeg
IMG_1768.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong, doesn’t look like a great job either way by the plasterers.

For sure it's an awful job but surely if all the walls were boarded it was only a skim coat? It seems difficult to achieve those levels of inaccuracy with a skim coat.

Ok, but it would have taken a very high degree of skill to get that corner (with your square on it) to be >10mm out of square and still maintain a relatively flat surface with multi finish.

View attachment 333925

Similarly, you can see very straight angles /lines where the PB joints are, that look like they’re not flush.

View attachment 333926View attachment 333927

Don’t get me wrong, doesn’t look like a great job either way by the plasterers.
I can assure you otherwise, everything was 'bang-on' in square, straight and plumb with correctly screwed and flush boards.

For example, where you have skillfully noted a plasterboard joint that is not flush, there is no plasterboard joint - please see the 'before' pic!

If you would like, I can drag out some more 'before' photos for you to expertly critique, or can we just blame this one squarely on the gash plastering?

Attachments

• 20240218_231013.jpg
    20240218_231013.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 168
For sure it's an awful job but surely if all the walls were boarded it was only a skim coat? It seems difficult to achieve those levels of inaccuracy with a skim coat.
No idea how they managed it, but was boarded all around and over!

Attachments

• 20240218_230939.jpg
    20240218_230939.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 20240218_230922.jpg
    20240218_230922.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 183

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back