Moon

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
BBC news says Moon looks larger than usual because of proximity to Earth.

Pictures to prove it. :rolleyes:

_76861252_linda_enfield_winchester_uk.jpg

_76861719_kim_sullivan_tottenham_uk.jpg

_76861416_edwardkcwong_hong_kong_china.jpg

I think the bottom one looks nearest.

It must have been taken from upstairs.

Sponsored Links
I was talking to the landlady of my local pub about this tonight. She said I'll be able to see it better at my house as I live at the top of the hill so I'll be nearer to it :LOL:

As a large item gets closer you will see less of the item as the angle to one eye gets greater.

I have not taken a picture of the moon for a long time. With 100 ASA (shows how long ago it was ASA not ISO) and 1/250 second at f16 one could get a good picture. Using a light meter was really not an option. But although I am sure there are changes since the 1980's when I took the first picture I don't think one could detect those changes on the quality on my photograph.

In the main a larger than normal sun or moon is due to variations in the density of the atmosphere magnifying the image rather than it being closer or further away.

The pressure drop I recorded down to 993 and the aftermath of Bertha came over this country would likely have caused some distortion. Pressure now back to 1003 so better weather on it's way.

In the eye of the storm we have still air with different temperatures. This is for more likely to magnify the moons as perceived by our eyes. I noted when in the Sahara in the morning the cold ground as it was heated at sun rise could really distort the image of the moon. (I lived there for 2 years in the 80's).

The pressure drop I recorded down to 993 and the aftermath of Bertha came over this country would likely have caused some distortion. Pressure now back to 1003 so better weather on it's way.
I would have said that there is not much (significant) difference between 993 and 1003 - it's when it starts getting close to 950 that you have to worry :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In the main a larger than normal sun or moon is due to variations in the density of the atmosphere magnifying the image rather than it being closer or further away.
That's not actually true nor, indeed, possible.

Its distance does vary but not by much.
The illusion of it being larger when rising or setting is because you compare it to distant houses or trees in front of it rather than in the emptiness when higher.

As for the atmosphere magnifying the Moon -
It is thought that when rising or setting it looks bigger; for this to be the case it would have to have the same magnifying effect on the whole 360° of the horizon.

This is obviously not possible as there is no room for a larger horizon to be nor can a 'larger' Moon overlap what is seen next to it.
It could look squashed vertically because of refraction when really low but this would result in the Sun or Moon looking smaller as there is no way the horizontal diameter can be altered.

The change in distance from apogee (furthest) to perigee (nearest) for the elliptical orbit of the moon can be as much as 14%:

The distance on Jul 28 2014 at 3:28am was 406568 km within 2 days of the new moon.

By Aug 10 2014 at 17:44 pm the distance was only 356896 km, and coincident with the full moon at 18:11 pm.

That's 49672 km closer, or almost 14% bigger.

Data taken from:

https://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/pacalc.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back