More austerity - good idea or bad? - the poll

Should we be cutting government funding?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's lot of speculation that we're heading for welfare cuts and a general cut to government budgets. I don't think it's a good idea, but what does everyone else think?

Sponsored Links
There's lot of speculation that we're heading for welfare cuts and a general cut to government budgets. I don't think it's a good idea, but what does everyone else think?

How else will Kwarteng pay for tax cuts to the rich?

Squeeze the poor.

Robin Hood in reverse.

As an Old Etonian he has to look after his chums.

What was it the Big Red Bus said? £350million a week less?

How else will Kwarteng pay for tax cuts to the rich?

Squeeze the poor.

Robin Hood in reverse.

As an Old Etonian he has to look after his chums.

What was it the Big Red Bus said? £350million a week less?
Apparently we don't need to balance the budget anymore. No need for service cuts.

Sponsored Links
It's entirely possible to reduce government funding without reducing welfare.
On the subject of spend. How will labour fund buying up the energy companies? Or are they just planning to buy one and squeeze the others out of existence? How is that possible under EU subsidy laws? Maybe its a Brexit bonus?

On the subject of spend. How will labour fund buying up the energy companies? Or are they just planning to buy one and squeeze the others out of existence? How is that possible under EU subsidy laws? Maybe its a Brexit bonus?
They aren't trying to drive out the other providers, just create an equivalent of EDF. It's obviously got potential to be a net positive for costs.

What else is the government going to cut? If there's 'efficiency' improvements to be made, why the hell haven't they been made already?

But I wasn't really asking about Labours plans Vs Tory plans. Just trying to get an idea of the general support for Austerity.

I'm guessing that Mottie and Motorbike king haven't voted yet?

...but why bother, says the latest Tory shower. When you can take it from the poorest.

On the subject of Tory misery, the Labour party are not in power boyo.

Austerity has never been a good idea. It wasn't when we tried it before (along with the entire EU) and it isn't now.
Rampant pay increases at the current time aren't a good idea either.

Austerity has never been a good idea. It wasn't when we tried it before (along with the entire EU) and it isn't now.
Rampant pay increases at the current time aren't a good idea either.
When did the entire EU try austerity?

Hate to say it - but presently the government should have a temporary Tax Increase matched with an increase in benefits for those on UC, state pensions (Only where the SP is the sole pension) and help with housing costs.
A tax similar to what the EU is applying to the Energy companies would be more beneficial short and long term.

They should not have cut any personal taxes - including the high rates and maybe increased those pro-rata.

All that is going to happen as a result of the 23/09 budget is at a future date we are going to pay more tax for longer.

To be honest I can't believe the Gent (sarcastic) was serious and thinks this budget helps anyone (apart from a chosen few).

That's a joke, right?
I'm not sure he has a sense of humour...
...but i read the word 'austerity' mentioned in regard to Austria; Belguim; Bulgaria; Lithuania; Ireland; Malta and the Netherlands and the rest avoid it by using different terms but the term austerity can be applied to the measures used. Obviously, it wasn't mentioned in the Uk's report. 'Elimination' was the preferred term.

Sponsored Links
Back